30 carbine

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by zkovach, Mar 21, 2010.

1. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

This question should be in the hunting forum however i always get great answers out of the reloading forum. Long story short My buddy and i have quite a disagreement. He believes the m1 carbine ( 30 carbine) would make a good deer gun. I think the bullet is to light and would be scared to try it and lose a deer. i understand its all about placement. However what do you think? Let say 100 grain bullet.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The only hundred grain 30 caliber bullet that I'm aware of is the Speer "Plinker". Not a good hunting round. The standard bullet for a 30 carbine is 110. 110 soft points and hollow points are available from several manufacturers.

Many people say it is too small for deer. And many deer are killed with it every year. The normal deer, here in Florida, dress about 40 pounds, with a live weight of maybe 75 or 80. I think it's fine for them. 300 pound mule deer, in Utah, at a range of 500 yards - not so good.

Michigan deer? They're kinda big, I understand. I think I'd want a bigger gun.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I load the hornady 90 gr XTP bullets for my wife to hunt deer and hog. They expand reliably out to 100 yds maybe further (didnt test beyond 100) with a starting velocity of 2200 fps from her inland GM. Shes taken a deer and 3 hogs with it. All shots were relatively close (less than 100 yds) and well placed. I made a thread last summer when i developed the load and tested it...http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=60507&highlight=.30 carbine performance