The Firearms Forum banner

30 Myths that Prevent People from Obtaining Firearms Training

3K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  carver 
#1 ·
http://www.feelsafeguntraining.com/-I-DON-T-NEED-GUN-TRAINING--.html

I am not endorsing this site. I just like the fact that they have taken the time to come up with "The 30 Myths, Excuses and Old Wives Tales that Prevent People from Obtaining Professional Firearms Training". Take a look at the list. Do you see yourself on that list? What are you going to do about it? When?

#3 ·
After watching George Zimmerman trial, I am almost afraid to continue with tactical training. The prosecutors tried to use what little training Zimmerman had to portray him as wanting and looking for an opportunity to kill someone to use his training.

Living in Tallahassee, I am fortunate that we have a Police Academy here and I get to take tactical classes from the guys who train the future LEO's. I have taken tactical handgun, shotgun and rifle classes to be able to clear, protect and defend my home and family. I have even taken long range "get the most out of your rifle" class taught by snipers where I was shooting my Garand accurately on the 600 yard range.

I am almost afraid that if I get into any kind of "Stand Your Ground" situation, I will be portrayed as some Right wing militia, swat wannabe gun nut just looking for someone to kill.

You ought to hear the comments I do from adults when they find out my 12 yr old daughter has taken our 513T through the NRA shooting program and has completed thru Sharpshooter and is working thru her bars of Expert.

School just started and she wore the Baretta T-shirt she got for participating in a Youth Trap Shoot over the summer. She is addicted to trap like an addict on Breaking Bad and is proud of her shirt. One of her teachers made some rude comments about the shirt and how dangerous guns are and students shouldn't wear clothes for items they don't understand.

My daughter looked her in the eyes and simply said that guns are only dangerous in the hands of the sick and the stupid. The teacher said she was not going to argue with a 12 yr old about guns. Daughter said maybe she should educate herself, and walked away.

The biggest issue we "gun nuts" have to address is the demonization of any gun and all guns are evil. We, as shooters need to get more involved (funny how that keeps coming up) in youth shooting and youth gun safety programs.

Instead of zero tolerance, we need to push for more gun safety and education in schools

#4 ·
My daughter looked her in the eyes and simply said that guns are only dangerous in the hands of the sick and the stupid. The teacher said she was not going to argue with a 12 yr old about guns. Daughter said maybe she should educate herself, and walked away.
Good for her. Just don't let the libs distract you from learning more in a tactical type class. Don't give them the satisfaction. I know the way the laws are can be frustrating but we are still living in a free country and it is our right to own firearms and train with them. :)

#5 ·
After watching George Zimmerman trial, I am almost afraid to continue with tactical training. The prosecutors tried to use what little training Zimmerman had to portray him as wanting and looking for an opportunity to kill someone to use his training.

Living in Tallahassee, I am fortunate that we have a Police Academy here and I get to take tactical classes from the guys who train the future LEO's. I have taken tactical handgun, shotgun and rifle classes to be able to clear, protect and defend my home and family. I have even taken long range "get the most out of your rifle" class taught by snipers where I was shooting my Garand accurately on the 600 yard range.

I am almost afraid that if I get into any kind of "Stand Your Ground" situation, I will be portrayed as some Right wing militia, swat wannabe gun nut just looking for someone to kill.

You ought to hear the comments I do from adults when they find out my 12 yr old daughter has taken our 513T through the NRA shooting program and has completed thru Sharpshooter and is working thru her bars of Expert.

School just started and she wore the Baretta T-shirt she got for participating in a Youth Trap Shoot over the summer. She is addicted to trap like an addict on Breaking Bad and is proud of her shirt. One of her teachers made some rude comments about the shirt and how dangerous guns are and students shouldn't wear clothes for items they don't understand.

The biggest issue we "gun nuts" have to address is the demonization of any gun and all guns are evil. We, as shooters need to get more involved (funny how that keeps coming up) in youth shooting and youth gun safety programs.

Instead of zero tolerance, we need to push for more gun safety and education in schools
I hear ya! We all know that Zimmerman was railroaded, and we all know, but for the grace of God, it could have been us! "I am almost afraid that if I get into any kind of "Stand Your Ground" situation, I will be portrayed as some Right wing militia, swat wannabe gun nut just looking for someone to kill". I chose a lawyer to defend me in case I ever have to pull the trigger. I did so after talking to him about certain things. He is a hunter, as well as a shooter. He understands the liberal mind set, and will bring my past training, or lack thereof, into a favorable light. If you are trained as well as the local police, or better, your lawyer's job is to bring this fact up to a jury! Talk to some of your police friends, find a lawyer that will really be on your side, before you need one! Please Congratulate your daughter on her accomplishments in the shooting world for me! Our young people are our future, and we really need to support them, and get them involved in keeping our Nation free!

#7 ·
I dont fear anyone or anything. I am not afraid. Not afraid to have a boatload of training on my record. Not afraid to be considered a right wing whatever, not afraid to open carry a firearm anywhere. Not one bit concerned about being a "bad guy target". I just dont care. I believe we should exercise our god given rights to the fullest. We should train hard and be prepared. We should be proud of our rights. I am a NRA lifetime member and a NRA instructor. I am an FFL. I proudly wear gun clothing and NRA hats. My truck has gun related stickers on the windows and a TFF license plate. I will never be timid about my rights and will never be scared of the liberals. Never. I try to introduce shooting to as many people as I possibly can. Its just always been a way of life and always will be. Guns are second nature. Just like putting on your socks or shaving in the morning. They just belong. Life doesnt go on without them.

#8 ·
I don't see myself on that list.

Lets see I've taken a course called tactical pistol inside the house. One called tactical pistol outside the house. One called tactical home defense -shotgun and one called tactical home defense -rifle.

These classes were very informative and I plain on taking more. On the downside, I did burn up alot of ammo taking these courses but man did I have a good time.

You only get to be a better shot by actually shooting!

#9 ·
#10 ·
I dont fear anyone or anything. I am not afraid. Not afraid to have a boatload of training on my record. Not afraid to be considered a right wing whatever, not afraid to open carry a firearm anywhere. Not one bit concerned about being a "bad guy target". I just dont care. I believe we should exercise our god given rights to the fullest. We should train hard and be prepared. We should be proud of our rights. I am a NRA lifetime member and a NRA instructor. I am an FFL. I proudly wear gun clothing and NRA hats. My truck has gun related stickers on the windows and a TFF license plate. I will never be timid about my rights and will never be scared of the liberals. Never. I try to introduce shooting to as many people as I possibly can. Its just always been a way of life and always will be. Guns are second nature. Just like putting on your socks or shaving in the morning. They just belong. Life doesnt go on without them.
Insert Standing Ovation smilies here...:D

#11 ·
What if there were no guns? What if everyone carried knives, and swords? Would you train?

#12 ·
ANY weapon, if not trained well with, can be easily taken away from you and used on you. Even a stick. Also, the older you get makes a difference. You may not have quite the brute strength, the agility, the speed, etc... that you once relied on. You mind may not be as sharp as before. Training avidly helps to overcome age-related loss. And you don't have to be OLD to have age-related losses.

#13 ·
What if there were no guns? What if everyone carried knives, and swords? Would you train?
Oh my, I cant imagine a world without guns! I love my guns! I dont even want to think that way......ok, I guess you would have to train to stay alive no matter what the tool...

#14 · (Edited)
Everyone should train as much as they can afford to train. I train because its a huge part of my chosen profession. I chose to become a Gunsmith, which puts guns in my hands for a living. I also choose to carry a gun, which requires proper and constant training to use safely and proficiently. I also train because I wish to be as versed as a shooter as I am as a Gunsmith. My philosophy is being good at one will make me better at the other, and it has worked out for me tremendously. There are 5 licensed gunsmiths within 100 miles of me, myself included. 4 out of the 5 are apron wearing gunsmiths that actually shoot their own guns as often as the average gun owner does and do not train. Then theres me, I don't even own an apron, I train constantly as much as I have the spare time for, in fact I have an AR class in about 3 hours. Theres nothing gun repair wise I don't know how to do and if it isn't something im directly equipped for Ill farm it out to HelixFR and put some money in his pocket and still satisfy my customer. And The other 4 gunsmiths constantly refer work to me that they don't want to mess with. My point at the bottom of this rant is I believe its my desire to train and shoot that has put me over the top as a Gunsmith. It gives me the benefit of understanding the guns and the way the work from both a mechanical standpoint as well as a practical usage standpoint. It gives me the knowledge I need to guide my customer into parts upgrades that will serve them, and by the same token gives me the ability to tell them beyond the shadow of any doubt the upgrades that aren't worth their money.

Also as far as being tried for the use of deadly force goes. If you train, then lawyers will use it against you and say you were looking to kill. If you do not train lawyers will use it against you and say you should not have been carrying a gun, had you been trained you may not have killed. I view it as a lose-lose situation and being trained increases everyone I intend to protect, as well as my own chances of surviving a deadly force encounter. So yeah.. Ill keep training.. And im also planning to start taking Krav Maga courses as well, so if by some unjust chance the Lawyers get me tossed in prison, Ill still be able to defend myself with fast and efficient deadly force.

#15 · (Edited)
Ahh, but if you didn't get it from them, you don't know anything.

I know they mean well, but after reading that list, the impression I get is:

We know everything about everything, you don't know ****. Spend $773 on all our courses and you will be one with the force.

Somehow, I don't like that attitude.

#16 ·
I know that some folks might have to put up with some of the know it alls, but if that's the only place you can get training, then suck it up, get trained. It beats not getting trained at all. Where I am I have several places that I can train, so I get to pick, and you got yours for free. Well, there was that check you wrote that gave them everything you had! A salute to you!

#17 ·
We get a lot of those types sometimes. Especially when we run a booth at the gunshow. inevitably theres always gonna be some self proclaimed badass that will come up and make himself look stupid, and they always degrade the untrained around them. Dan hates it and if usually pretty quick to call them out and further make them appear to be the south end of a northbound donkey.

But the bottom line is, the vast majority of the trained individuals I work around are very humble and do not degrade. In fact they will bend over backwards to make you want to train and help you every step along the way. I have seen Dan cut back the cost of his courses as much as 50% at times just to get folks to make the jump, and once they do one course they are addicted and end up taking all 10 levels and usually transitioning to other platforms and their 10 levels of training.

#18 ·
Even men like Jerry Miculek will tell you that they are still learning! It never stops!

#19 ·
Gotta agree with the sergeant.

If I see a well thought-out essay on "The Ten Best Reasons Why You Need Life Insurance", I might think about it.

If, however, that essay was written by Met Life, I'd blow it off. "They just want to sell me insurance."

#20 ·
These folks are in the Hill Country of TX. They are not trying to sell their traninging to anyone but those that live close enough to make the trip worth the cost of fuel. I certainly will not be using their range, or their trainers, they are 300 miles from me! I'm just trying to point out that there are a lot of reasons we don't train, and there shouldn't be. Get trained, get it in your home town, but get it.

#21 ·
Don't get me wrong; training is always a good thing to attend for everyone. I even preach that with motorcycle training. But if I am trained, proficient and safe, I take acception to someone telling me I don't know squat because I didn't do it with them.. and that's how it reads to me.

Example: Many motorcycle schools, lots of good training out there, even if it isn't MSF sanctioned.

#22 ·
Motorcycle training back in the early 70's is what got me started in "training". Back then the military made me train if I wanted to ride on base. I thought, what can they teach me, I've been riding longer than most of the trainers. Right off the bat, one guy said, "When you put that key in the ignition on a motorcycle, and crank the engine, both you, and the motorcycle become invisible". The light bulb in my head went off! I had just learned why it is that every body wanted to run over me!:D

#23 ·
Beck completed Pistol 1 today. She did fantastic. Now shed hopelessly addicted to training and cant wait for level 2.

#24 · (Edited)
I'm very thankful that my chosen professions have afforded me countless hours of training at no expense, starting when I was pretty much still a kid. Besides work, I mix in as much "extracurricular" activities as possible, as often as possible. My current favorite training is skeet shooting, as it is a fun, efficient and relevent way to develop and maintain the ability to pick up and engage fast moving targets under stress.

Don't discount physical training and exercise as being part of an overall tactical mindset. You're only as good as your lungs and legs can last you. My philosophy is that I must be prepared for a three part fight: running, shooting, fighting. I must be able to do all three for an extended period of time, together if necessary, while maintaining the mental ability to make proper decisions. Exercise and diet play a major role in maintaining that level of ability.

#25 ·
"Right wing whatever"--are you one??

Im not. Make those define where the middle is. (US Constitution)

Yes, Im waaayyy to the right of Pelosi, Schumer, Biden, Obama and my two US Senators, the media and hundreds of others.

Problem is they are so far to the left..but the media makes them middle of the roaders.

#26 ·
Beck completed Pistol 1 today. She did fantastic. Now shed hopelessly addicted to training and cant wait for level 2.
Fantastic! Tell her I said "good job"!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.