300 grain .44 special bullets?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gunguy, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Inplanotx, (Rick). I am conducting some new reloading specs on 300 Meister Hard Cast bullets that have 1/4 inch swaged Hollow Bases.

Now, I'm not going to put these 300 grain reloads in my only .44 special a 3rd model 1926 S&W with a 5 inch barrel.

I was thinking about trying them in my Anaconda .44 mag when the snow melts up here.

Reloads consist of 5.0 grains of Unique with the Meister 300 grain HB bullet. They are seated to an overall length of 1.575 to 1.620 of an inch...which is of course over an inch.

Some others are 11.0 grains of AA 5744 with the same bullet, seated to the same OAL.

Also, some 6.0 and 7.0 grains of HS6 powder with same bullets and OAL.

I'm expecting pressures to be a bit high, but safe if only fired in the .44 mag Anaconda.

Will inspect brass and primers after each cylinder full for pressure signs and flatten primers...or split cases etc.

What do you, or anyone else think of the prospects of firing 300 grain bullets in .44 special brass.

If they go OK in the Anaconda, might try a couple in the 1926 3rd model...maybe.

Jim
  2. ACC

ACC New Member

gunguy

For you and all you guy's who "roll your own" go to www.neconos.com it is a loading program called Quick load,this is what i use.It has 140 different type powders to choose from,and 2,000 different bullets for loading.It will even give you velocity's that you will attain,<b>AND</b> give you a pressure curve chart to the loading that <b>YOU</b> customize.It's 149.95 but well worth it.No more quess work:)
  3. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Thanks, C&R Ammo. But too rich for my pocket book. That much dough goes into my next gun fund.

You haven't got any info on the 300 grain bullet in .44 special?

I know, I got no shame to ask...real cheapskate I is.

Gunguy :D
  4. ACC

ACC New Member

gunguy

Gunguy:
    Sorry,but because of insurance restrictions I really can't give loading data out. If something were to happen to you and your gun from loading data that i have given you,then the law suits would begin.Nothing personal,but that's just the way the system is.But I can't find any data for a 300 lead projo,all I have is for xtp's and what not's.Get some of your buddy's to help invest in the quick load program,and any time they need data,you'll have it:)
    Carl C&R AMMO
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Wow, Jim. I really think you are pushing it here. Now, if you were using 44 Mag brass in the Anaconda that would be fine. My Nosler book has loads for the 44 Mag with 300 gr jacketed bullets. I would never try that in the old hand ejector. Pure suicide! Besides the twists being the same for Special vs Magnum, I don't think the Special brass will hold up to the pressures, period! I really think you are playing with fire here, Jim. Please be careful!
  6. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

I hear what you are saying, Rick.

But doubt it'll be a problem in the Anaconda which is built like an Abrams tank.

Believe me, I won't put those mini-nukes in my old 3rd model S&W if the brass shows the least signs of stress.

One shot of each loading should tell me what's up concerning the .44 special brass.

And if its too much I'll just pull the bullets on 24 rounds and forget the experiment.

Still too much cold and snow to shoot.

What I am doing is taking .44 mag load tables and comparing .44 special CUPs with .44 mag tables. Then trying to get around 20 % below the magnum levels.

I am also sort of trying to duplicate the the old Webley .455 brit 265 grain Hollow Base bullet load...except I'm going up a bit in the weight to 300 grains hollow base.

Elmer Keith used 280 grain cast Bellding & Mull bullets in .44 special loads, but said they weren't very accurate over 50 yards.

Jim
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Good luck Jim. Like I said, ain't worried about the gun, just the friend behind it. The brass worries me at those pressures.

Rick
  8. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

I don't think the .44 special brass will even hold up the 300 grain bullet, to be honest. Have you tried to seat a 300 grainer? I'm sure the delicate brass will buckle if you give it a try. But, if it doesn't, I still wouldn't try it. Especially with 5 grains of powder.

You might want to try cutting down a few .44 mag brass, and starting with 4 grains of powder, Unique, and work your way up. But, why 300 grains? Maybe the 250 grain "Elmer Keith" bullet would be better suited for your needs? Or, the Hornady 265 grain SP?
  9. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

"I am also sort of trying to duplicate the the old Webley .455 brit 265 grain Hollow Base bullet load...except I'm going up a bit in the weight to 300 grains hollow base."

That original British 265 gr. bullet load for the Webley is a low-velocity (600 fps) one and calls for 5.0 grains of Unique not Bullseye!

5 gr. of Unique is a low pressure load.......5.0 gr. of Bullseye is quite a high pressure one.