300 Savage 165 Grain Bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by nevadal, Jun 7, 2012.

1. nevadal

nevadal New Member

Where I live in Nevada I have to go to Reno to buy reloading supplies, or order on-line.

The other day I went to the store and bought a box of Sierra 30 cal .308 dia 165 GR. HPBT Boat Tail 2140.

They only had 1 box, so another day I went to Sportsman's Warehouse to get another box of the same, however they were out of any 165 grain bullets.

The salesman told me that these bullets that I had purchased are illegal to hunt with, they are for military use.

I am now going here to the knowledge factory....what would you reccomend in a 165 grain for Elk Hunting in Colorado?

Thanks for all your help past & present.
  2. gunslinger69

gunslinger69 New Member

I would go with a heavier weight soft point bonded bullet, I don't think a hollow point would perform very well on a large animal like that aside from the legallity of using it.
  3. res45

res45 Member

If the bullet in question is the Sierra 165 gr. GameKing BTHP it should be perfectly fine to hunt with,thats what Sierra designed it for,it has a much larger HP than the heavier MatchKing,probably not something I would use on large game though.

The salesman probably has the Sierra MatchKing 168 gr. BTHP in mind,it's a match grade bullet and not really designed to expand so it's a poor choice for a hunting bullet and the Military does use it but to my knowledge it's not illegal to hunt with it at least in my state it's not.

What is illegal in many states is the use of a FMJ bullets to hunt big game but neither of the MatchKing or GameKing HP bullets are a FMJ.

Personally I like a nice SP bullet for big game hunting I don't have any game much larger than 200 lbs. around here so I use 150 gr. Sierra Prohunters or Hornady SST's in my 300 Sav.
  4. nevadal

nevadal New Member

As usual, you guys got what I need....many thanks.