.300 Savage non lead bullet

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by wsas7816, Nov 8, 2011.

1. wsas7816

wsas7816 New Member

I have a standing invite for wild pig hunting in an area of California that prohibits hunters from using lead bullets. My rifle is chambered in .300 Savage (modern Savage 99F). I have not come across non-lead ammunition. Would it be possible to cast a bullet using “lead substitute”? Much thanks in advance.
  2. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Ft. Hunter Liggett ??
  3. wsas7816

wsas7816 New Member

Not that far south but still in the Condor Zone.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Instead of attempting to cast something using a "lead substitute", a much better solution would be to use Barnes TSX Bullets. They are 100% copper, so meet the "no lead" rule. 30 caliber bullets are available in 110 and 200 grain flat base, and 130, 150, 165, 168 and 180 grain boat tail.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

go the 100% copper we had to use them breifly here thanks to greenies but they work a treat

the 5 part ones are great the jacket covers 4 copper peices that expand on impact , fantastic expansion ( over kill on small stuff ) but great for camels donkeys and pig's

i'd still use em except

1 cost
    2 i have thousands of projectile i have bought in the past and need to use before i buy more
    3 low need seeing we showed the greenies they polluted worse than any shooters
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  6. wsas7816

wsas7816 New Member

Alpo and Jack404 ... much thanks!
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Also winchester fail-safe are pure copper and Hornady GMX is pure copper too.
  8. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Winchester Fail Safe has a lead core behind the center partition. I loaded many thousand of them over the years and I am 100% sure they have lead.
  9. wsas7816

wsas7816 New Member

Much thanks to all. After getting some direction from this thread, I found the CA DFG list of certified ammo (see http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/certifiedammo.html if interested). It seems to make complete sense to buy rather than cast (if possible). I have someone to teach me the reloading process so I think I am on good foundation. Cheers!
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

youre right. I just looked it up. All the failsafes Ive shot and never realized they had lead base-cores, always just assumed they were all copper since they expand similar to Barnes and GMX. Kinda neat now that i know.. Sort of a best of both worlds of a X bullet and a Nosler Partition.
  11. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

It is my understanding the Fail Safe is discontinued. I never have read that, but I can not find them anymore so I am making that assumption. It was my favorite bullet for hunting. My understanding is that the prototype was a solid copper alloy bullet. Somehow before production began, that design got scrapped for the partition design. Thus was born "combined technology" bullet company. It was Winchester and Nosler that combined their technology. I have never figured out how both Winchester and Barnes have patent rights to the same frontal bullet design. Hopefully, someone will enlighten me.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

me too. I bought a locker full of reloading equipment/components a couple years ago and inside was 500 or so Fail safe projectiles among hundreds of pounds of other things. I have since shot most of them and given a couple boxes away. They really are great bullets. Accurate and expand perfectly just like the Barnes and the GMX. Im pretty sure they are discontinued. They arent listed anywhere. The GMX and the Barnes have successfully pushed them to the back of the bus.
  13. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If you're not already set up to handload or would just rather buy a box you could try here at Custom Cartridge. The drawback is that it isn't cheap but the plus is that it's absolutely do-able.