.300 Win Mag Die Advice

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bikeryoda, Apr 28, 2010.

1. bikeryoda

bikeryoda New Member

It's been a while since my last post, but searching just didn't help me with the answer. I recently purchased a CVA Apex in .300 Win Mag and I want to start reloading for it. I use Dillon Precision reloading equipment for all of the calibers I reload for. However they do not make a die for the .300 Win Mag (or at least the website does not show it). What are some high quality dies (preferably a 3 die set) that you recommend? Thanks for any assistance,
    -Biker
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

There are many choices and if you have a Dillon RL550B then it accepts the standard die sets. What you need is the sizing/de-priming die and the bullet seating/crimping die. That's a two die set. In addition the Dillon requires their "powder die", the "powder funnel" (for a 30 caliber cartridge) and the correct locator buttons. All the Dillon stuff is available individually or as a caliber conversion kit.

Redding, Forester, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady all make good die sets but you need the two die set, not three. As an option you can add a third die, a separate crimp die. The Lee Factory Crimp Die works the best and that is my recommendation. Notice that Lee was excluded from the die set choices because it is my opinion that their die sets are inferior to the ones recommended...but that is MY opinion and not necessarily that of others here. I also don't recommend the Dillon die set because it is too expensive compared to all the others and not necessarily any better.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I use LEE dies. I bet I can out shoot ya LD;):p
  4. bikeryoda

bikeryoda New Member

I have the rl550b with Dillon dies for at least 6 calibers... I like Dillon for their warranty and reputation. I'll have to check into those brands and try to find a good crimp die like you were sayin... I was just hoping that someone out there had one included in their sets. Thanks for the list, Gives me something to work from.
  5. LDBennett

JLA:

Indeed you may be able to out shoot me but that has nothing to do with the quality of your or my ammo but who is the best shooter.

Lee's problem, as I have stated here before, is not their designs. I give em credit for innovative, good designs. But they typically choose materials to make their products that are wrong for the job. Even the Lee rifle Factory Crimp Die suffers that but its design is so good I use them anyway and have to occasionally "fix" them.

It is so frustrating that they make good designs then screw it up in the implementation. I think it stems from senior Lee's arrogance that is readily visible in his reloading manual/book. He firmly believes only HE knows how to make reloading equipment. He sacrifices quality and durability for price. But you've heard this rant from me before and I stand by it. We all get to choose and when asked I'll offer my opinion based on my experiences.

LDBennett
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Just pickin the scab a little LD. I am very aware of your position on Lee equipment. Just gettn a rise outta ya;)
  7. LDBennett

JLA:

I realized what you were doing. :) :)

But I want others new to the site to know exactly why I am so down on LEE. As an Engineer I analyze everything (it's in the schooling!) and that is my analysis of LEE products for all to see and all to snipe at. :) :)

But of course, as I have said maybe a thousand times before "we all get to choose".

LDBennett
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I got ya;)
  9. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I'll put in my .02 that Lee decapping pins are thicker, tougher & better designed in that they retract if a immovable situation occours. All other pins I know of break pretty easily especialy when de-priming military staked-in primers. I love the Lee RGB two die rifle sets that include military calibers for $11 a set.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Right there with ya pops. I bet I can out shoot ya;)
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

JLA, you can probably out shoot me, too;) and I use a lot of Lee dies (and other stuff).:D
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

haaa you guys are great:)
  13. Innovative

Innovative New Member

bikeryoda ........

I use a Dillon RL550 mostly for pistol calibers. The best accessory for the Dillon press is a good single stage press. That allows you to improve one of your handloads anywhere in the process, and always keep your stations in sync.

- Innovative