300 WSM Dies

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Dave3
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/26/02 5:44:03 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 300 WSM Dies
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I ordered some Lee 300 wsm dies and they are full length sizing dies, Why would I want to full length size brass obviously made for a bolt action rifle. This just does not make since to me. I was told nobody makes a neck size only die for this caliber. What am I missing? Thanks.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/26/02 5:57:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 300 WSM Dies
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No, don't think you're missing anything - the standard rifle reloading die sets always have the full length resizing die. A neck sizing die is either special order or generic.

As expample, I have a special order 7mm Dakota die to compliment the normal full length die set, as the parent case of the 7 Dakota is the 404 Jeffery. The body of the case is too big to get up into the generic 7mm neck sizing die. Then, I have a generic 6.5mm neck sizing die (Hornady) that will neck size only a variety of 6.5mm's I have. All their body diameters will go into the generic sizing die - I just have to vary the length of stroke on pushing the casing into the die to resize the neck without collapsing the shoulder.

Due to the wide body on your .30 WSM (again, designed off the .404 Jeffery, no matter WHAT Winchester claims!) your cases won't fit up into a standard generic neck sizing die, therefore, you must get a special die - expect to pay big bucks!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Dave3
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/26/02 6:19:21 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del 300 WSM Dies
    Thanks Kdub,
    That makes pretty good sense. I wonder if I could just back it off a little. Heck I'm not in a hurry I don't even have the gun yet.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/27/02 12:01:47 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 300 WSM Dies
    Yeah, Dave - you can.

By trial and fit, run your sizing die up until the case goes all the way without touching anything. By turning the die back down (ALWAYS keep the case and neck Lubed!) is stages, you can start neck sizing without resizing the complete case. Keep turning it down until you have all but maybe the last 3/64ths of the neck sized (you can tell by the sizing marks left on the neck). This will result in a portion of the neck left unsized, but this is good! Try chambering the case in the rifle (push-feed, just drop the case into the chamber, controlled feed - remove bolt, snap case onto bolt face behind extractor and chamber, being careful to keep ejector out of the way) to see if it wants to go in easy with a slight bit of resistance on lowering the bolt. If it does, this is what you're after - the case is sized for the chamber and the neck will now provide proper tension on the bullet. The little portion of the neck not sized will help center the case in the chamber along with the base of the case. You have a two-point centering of the cartridge with the axis of the chamber which aids in the best accuracy.

When the aforementioned sized cases become somewhat difficult to lower the bolt on when try-fitting in the chamber, you'll have to completely resize to restore cases to near original dimensions. After the complete resizing and firing, you should be able to once again just neck size for more loadings.

Be sure to watch the case length and trim when cases reach maximum dimensions in length.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Edited by: kdub01 at: 10/27/02 1:04:28 am