300 WSM & RL 17 with 130 gr TSX bullets?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by GW1, Apr 2, 2011.

1. GW1

GW1 New Member

Hello, My buddy is very new to reloading and wants to use RL 17 with 130 gr TSX bullets in his 300 WSM rifle. He doesn't know much about the powder and has already loaded 64.5 grains and wants to jump to 66.0 grains. I asked him how the presures are and if his primers or brass is showing much pressure and he doesn't have a clue as to what I'm trying to tell him about pressures. Does anyone have any suggestions for him before he blows himself up? Thanks.

GW1--
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Yep, he shouldnt be shooting anything but factory ammo and you can tell him I said so. If he has to ask such a question he must be reloading without any reliable load data. As for you GW1 I'd remain friends with the guy but find any excuse you can not to go shooting with him next time he asks.

Hornady, Lyman, Speer, Lee and several others print excellent information to properly enter the reloading hobby, he needs two of these.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Looks like you have already told him G. If he wont listen to you he aint gonna listen to a buncha internet commandos.

He has a classic case of overzealous reloaders syndrome. Or newby reloader hotrodder syndrome. Whichever you like.

IF you are a good friend, you are only obligated to do 2 things for him. Warn him of the dangers (which you have already done) and ensure he has at least 2 reputable reloading manuals even if you have to purchase them yourself (any 2 of the half dozen that 312 mentioned are golden). Then just keep a safe distance and hope he doesnt become another statistic.

Some people just gotta blow their guns up before they learn...