300 wthby /win mag and 300 savage? compair?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by soundguy, Jul 14, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

how do these stack up?

there is a pawn shop going out of business and is having a gun auction next week.. the following 3 calibers are among the wares offered. I've been looking for a 300something for a while now.

how do these stack up.

I think 300 weatherby is going to be a hoter round than the win.. but where does the savage fall.

the auction house that is running the auction has done an estate sale and 2 other gun / pawn shop liquidations in my town.. I'm already a registered bidder .. so I'll be sure to attend. last auction at a pawn shop drew about 40 bidders.. but only about 5 of us actually bid ?? luckilly most of the other bidders were after handguns. me and 1 other guy were after milsurp or C&R stuff... so we both got what we wanted more or less without much fight. good auction house.. but area here is depressed financially ( probably why a pawn shop is going out of business?? ).. in any event. last auction .. prices were darn reasonable. I walked with a few shotguns and some milsurp rifles.. don't think I paid over 100$ for any of them. got a nice minty 410 SS for 50$ opening bid.. go figure...

so school me on these please.
  2. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 New Member

The 300 Wby is the hottest of the three. Shooting factory ammo, it's by far the most expensive to feed too. The .300 win mag is behind the Wby by 150-200 fps and the Savage is comparable to a 30-30.

Hope that helps.
  3. soundguy

oh wow.. so the 300 savage is a slacker :) ( not a magnum / belted cartridge.. so an unfair comparison I guess.. :) )

sounds like I may want to concentrate on the weatherby.. sounds neat and hot..
  4. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Weatherby ammo is super hot & expensive. I luv my 30-378 Mark V but load my own. Example, today I shot and checked with chrono. My own reloads of 99 grains RL-22 with 180 TTSX chronoed at 3260; then I shot the weatherby factory ammo, 180's, the ones with white tipped accubonds. It chronoed out at 3427 and had a hard time opening the bolt. Must have been around 105 grains of RL-22 in there; I might take one apart and weigh. Thing is, you always reload your own with Mark Vs. My 30-378 is .5 at 100 yards and most I have shot were just as good. My one huntin buddy is now shooting 165 GMX's with 102 grains RL-22, chronoed at 3600; that's a flyin.

I'd take the Weatherby everytime.
  5. soundguy

i'll deffinately try for it!
  6. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Relative to the .300 Savage, it is much more powerful (+40%) than the .30-30 Winchester. Here is a wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_Savage

When you compare it to the .308 Winchester (7.62 x 51 mm in European speak) it is only slightly less powerful (-2% to -4%) up to 165 grain bullets. It is the parent cartridge of the 308 Win.; and an excellent choice for all but large and dangerous game animals.

Also, many persons find the recoil of the .300 magnums unpleasant.
  7. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

The old .300 Savage as posted is not only close to the .308 but its parent. The .300 Savage Ctg. can be made from .308s. :)
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Id stick to the .300 WM. it is difficult to get a tight chamber fit with WBY magnums due to the double radius shoulder and WBYs are notorious for 10 miles of leade.

If you really want to step up your .30 cal performance with a std magnum chambering go with the .300 RUM, its based on the beltless .404 jeffrey and performs just below the .30-378 wby, which is hotter than the .300 wby, and has tons more inherent accuracy potential due to the superior cartridge design.

Then if you so desire, you can have your .300 RUM chamber reamed with a .300 TEJAS reamer and use your .300 Rum ammo to fireform your .300 Tejas brass. the .300 Tejas out performs the .30-378 by about as much as the .30-378 outdoes the .300 Rum.

But really though.. What animal really needs a 180 gr bullet at 3800 fps to die instantly??

;)
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

washington incumbants
  10. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

If ya ever walked in after a bear in head high brush, you might reconsider that thought.

All the off the wall magnums are like cult guns; several of your friends have them you see some big time shots made, you see a used one reasonably priced, you pick it up. Then you all work up your own loads and try to outdo the buddies; no different than hounds and hunting dogs with friends.
  11. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

I would avoid the Weatherby. JLA has a good concept, but, I feel that with an unknown rifle the chances of a worn/poor barrel are too possible due to the large powder charge of the 300 Weatherby; this is noted in several older loading manuals.
    Unless you are planning to hunt larger game than Bambi at a average range I would probably look at the other rifles.
    I got a good deal on a 300 H&H mag and for the life of me can not figure out what to do with the gun; it is great to shoot but is simply too much gun for whitetails at 50-100 yds in South Louisiana.

I have to disagree with Jack404, Louisiana Lawyers for the 180 grain load.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  12. soundguy

i shoot 416 rigby and 375 H&H mag.. so the shoulder is already numb and has a dent that a rifle stock fits well in.. :)

I'd like to find a 338 lapua but really.. where I live since deer ar ehte size of large dogs.. and hogs n average are 100-150#.. you hardly ever see anything larger than a 30-06 on shelves..
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Sounds like you got TX sized deer. Id get the .300 savage then. its all youll ever need for doggy sized deer.

I have all kind sof long range hunting rifles and what not, but every year I hit the woods mith eithe rmy .44 mag leveraction or my .223. And ive not ever had to shoot a deer or hog twice.

I do know people here, that go after thier 70 pound deer with things like .338 lapua, or .450 marlin.. My only question is why? How hard does the bullet have to hit the dirt on the other side of the deer to kill the deer cleanly? Which actually brings me to why i like the .223 so much. Loaded with 53 gr TSX bullets at a blistering 3300 fps the bullet hits bambi hard enough to break both shoulders and end up under the skin on the offside. I have never had one pass thru and perfect expansion everytime with that bullet. I shot a 90 pound pig in the neck with one and I found the bullet in his stomach at field dressing. I dont know how it got there because there really wasnt any evidence of the bullet following any bones. All I can figure is the bullet stopped in his esophagus after severing his neckbone and slid down into his belly.
  14. soundguy

all the game i've taken in florida in the last 15 ys has been with 30-06 and as you say.. never had to shoot anything twice. I'd say fl deer are a lil smaller than texas deer.. :) and out hogs range from about 60-150# with 90-100 being normal. in a dry year they are smaller.. in a wet year they are bigger. last pig I shot was right at 100#.. just as I shot he turned a lil bit so i got him at a bad angle.. passed thru ribs on righ and out shoulder on left.. practically gutted him. ruined rib and shoulder on that side. still a tasty lean pig.

the big guns i rarely hunt with.. they punch paper, or occasionally head north for larger stuff like elk... but those trips aren't often. I kinda feel 30-06 is a lil anemic for moose/elk etc.. though a good shot is a good shot. i wouldn't feel bad about taking a 300(any) mag or even my 7mmremmag or a .. at most.. 375H&H with me. the 35hh would be overkill.. but at least not like a balastic missle or anything.. :)