3000 yd capability!

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by JLA, Sep 30, 2011.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

2. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Want one? I NEED one!!!!!
  3. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

That is crazy! Sub 1/2 MOA at 1000 yards.... I wonder what is used to support and rest that rifle? Let alone the scope and magnification used. I want to see what that "338-408 Improved" cartridge looks like.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Stu had a dummy at the shop. Its a .408 cheytac necked down to .338. putting it loosely.. ITS MASSIVE! case probably holds about 200 grains of powder and pushes a 300 gr SMK to 3300 fps.

heres a pic of it with its parent and others for size comparison..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  5. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

6. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Those shiney cartridges lined up like that are one of the prettiest things I have ever seen!
  7. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Its like a 21st century version of the .270
  8. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

I noticed they had a pistol capable of 1 mile shots too!!
  9. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

Looks like a fun rifle to shoot! 3000 yards is a long way, But I think it would be fun.
  10. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

WOW!!

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those, but YIKES the $$$$!
  11. warriflefan

warriflefan New Member

That camo breakup stock looks sweet, I wonder how much difference in recoil there is between it and the laminate.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I wouldnt mind giving 3K a shot or 5. I think it would be cool to film the vapor trail with a telephoto lens
  13. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

At roughly 2 miles, conditions would have to be perfect. We have other stuff that comes into play at that distance. It's a fun idea to play with, but has ZERO practical application. If the established record is owned by the .338 Lapua, and then the next step is .50, I doubt that any military is going to invest in this thing, esp. since it fires the very same bullet as the Lapua.
  14. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Will it never end? My head hurts! I was making good shots at 300 yds yesterday with my AR and thought I was really doing something! Took me most of the day to get there..... I'm going back to my Win 94 where I belong!:D
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

im with ya PF. Im hunting rifle season with irons this year..
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It isnt a military application. Its a wildcat that is catching on among LR benchrest shooters. Stuart is actually looking intoi having a rifle built for it and competing.

Aside from the .338 Lapua firing the very same bullet it really isnt a comparison. the snipe-tac trumps the lapua by over 300 fps with the exact same bullet, which adds a couple hundred extra yard to its effective range. Thats all competitive rifle nuts look for in a newfangled round...

Ever heard of the .300 Tejas? Same idea.. For all intents and purposes it is the same as the .300 RUM, but since it has a blown out shoulder and less body taper (essentially an ackley improved) can hold quite a bit more powder and is capable of propelling a 180 gr .30 cal bullet to 3800 fps. The RUM, its parent case, is only capable of 3300 maximum with the same 180 grainers..

Its stuff liek this that keeps the shooting public on their toes. And its stuff like this thats the reason our armies arent still hacking each other up with swords and axes.

Firearms evolution my friend. ;)
  17. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I could stand to have one, but probably not for the price. I shudder to think what one of those rifles cost and even tremble at the though of the cost of the ammunition......
  18. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

Actually, that was all covered during WWII. We found out pretty much everything there was to be learned about ballistic performance by the time it was over. Developments since then all have to work within the very same pressure and velocity limits that were found through development in that era. A bit of refinement has happened since then, such as the .308 pretty much equaling the .30-'06 by running a bit higher pressure, and finding that high velocity .22 cal. ammo is pretty deadly on humans; etc...
    The evolution is over, and now we're pretty much chasing our tails over the same set of facts, which are determined by known limits. Now, if we can develop a shoulder fired weapon that launches a 10 gr. chunk of porcelain with plasma to a velocity of around 15,000 fps (feasible), we will be once again evolving.....
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  19. popgun

popgun New Member

nice post on how it compares to 338 Lapua
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  20. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

The fact that they have the technology to build something like this is truely amazing in my book. Powders, bullets, primers, brass, steel for the barrels and the maching have truly evolved into making rifles better than ever.