300win VS 308

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by dragman, Feb 9, 2011.

1. dragman

dragman New Member

When building a sniper rifle (and wanting a common caliber) which would you use and why??
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I personally would opt for the .308... Less recoil, easier to shoot, more economical to reload, still 1000 yd accurate.
  3. dragman

dragman New Member

I am having a really hard time trying to justify the 300 even though I want too!
  4. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

You only live once do it.
  5. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

My stepson has a Rem 300 win mag and it is OK to shoot. I will take my RRA .308 any day hands down. My wife and kids will go out and shoot my AR10 with me every once and awhile.... because the recoil isn't so bad.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

If you decide to go 300 win mag, make sure its in a HEAVY rifle...
  7. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    drag man,i own three 110 tactical savage rifles,i have identical scopes,rings,and after market trigger assembleys.(no accutrigger at the time)they all have exactly the same trigger pulls,one and one half pounds. the calibers are 223,308,300win mag.if you are new to long range shooting then by all means start with the 223 or 308.the 300 win mag,although it is not anything like my 458 win mag is still a fairly hard hitting round.i think unless you are thinking about knock down power i would stay with the 223 or 308.it dont take much to kill paper. old semperfi
  8. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I vote .308
  9. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

you know i just came to that realization a few weeks ago and have been doing things i normally wouldn't!

As to the OPs topic. If you get a 300 win your going to spend more on ammo and your shoulder will fall off and walk away after a few rounds from a light gun. Put a muzzle break on the 300 win. If you go with a 308 Ammo is cheaper its lighter on your shoulder and you can buy very cheep surplus ammo.
  10. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Living in PA I doubt you will have much use for the extra range the 300 will give you. Unless you plan to bear hunt from one ridge to the next. Hell I have a hard time finding a place to shoot 500 yards around here.
  11. dragman

dragman New Member

I think 308 its gonna be. I have a 338 laupua and a 308 I don't think I can justify the 300.
  12. TTE

TTE Member

Sounds like you have made up your mind.

I will say, the 300 Win Mag will do everything the 308 Win will do, but not the other way round.

If you are handloading, the 300 can be loaded to 308 ballistics, again, not the other way round.

I like the 300 Winnie. Don't have on anymore, but liked the cartridge.

Your OP was about a sniper rifle. No way the 308 will do a better job than the 300 Mag.. Not nearly as flat shooting nor as powerful.

JMO
  13. TTE

TTE Member

Personally, I think this is a bit of a misleading statement.

The 300 Winnie will carry better ballistics (with the same bullets) no matter what the range, be it 100 or 500 yards.

Can you make a shot at 500 yards with a 308 Win ? Sure.
    Is it easier to make that same shot with a 300 Win Mag ? Sure.

As far as the addition power provided, well, some like more powerful cartridges than others.

I use my wildcat .338 for pretty much everything. It kills Deer/Impala/Red Stag/Eland/Hartebeest/Waterbuck etc., at 100 - 350 yards without a problem (have not shot farther than 350, so can't tell past that distance).

Admittedly, I like larger caliber, Mag. style cartridges. I had to design my own as I don't care for 'belts' on cartridges anymore (I know, I know, it's all in my head :cool:).
  14. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Personally I think you are mistaken by what I said, not the other way around.

I said "Living in PA I doubt you will have much use for the extra range the 300 will give you."

Meaning...go with the .308.

Then I said "Unless you plan to bear hunt from one ridge to the next."

Meaning if you are going need knock down power at 1000 yards or more maybe then go with the 300 since it is more powerful.

I do NOT see how what I said was misleading.

This is Pennsylvania, not Tanzania and we don't really hunt bear from ridge top to ridge top I was just giving an example of hitting something and hitting it and also killing it.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  15. dragman

dragman New Member

Well I am still torn. Just can't seem to make up my mind. I don't care about hunting with this weapon at least. I wanna build a easy portable sniper rifle capable of taking "people" sized targets out past 1000 yards. I know the 308 can but the 300 is probably the better tool. I have a 338 lapua but it isn't an easily portable unit.

I AM NOT SAYING I WANNA SHOOT PEOPLE JUST LOOKING TO BUILD A MILITARY TYPE WEAPON THAT IS ABLE TO.