300WinMag or 300UltraMag

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

ScREWtop
    (2/16/03 2:34:23 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 300WinMag or 300UltraMag
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Guys,

I am building a new rifle and I would like your expert opinion please.

Choate tacticle stock; Winchester action; 26" stainless/fluted/super-grade; 1-10 tiwst for 150/180 bullets; Reflex T8M suppressor; 300winmag or 300ultramag (undecided yet).

The only thing that's bothering me now is whether to go with 300WinMag or 300UltraMag. I reckon if the Reflex silencer can cut recoil down I would prefer 300UltraMag. Any suggestions?

Recoil found in Chuck Hawk's website:
    300WinMag (180 at 2960) 8.5lbs = 25.9 feet (I think my gun will weight about 10lbs)
    300UltraMag (180 at 3230) 8.5lbs = 32.8 feet

Oh, is 1-10 twist advisible?

I would be grateful if I could get some advice before Tuesday because that's when my gunsmith is back from holiday and i'll have to tell him 300UltraMag or 300WinMag and if its gonna be 1-10 twist.

Thanks again guys.

Dry Powder
    (2/16/03 4:59:16 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 300WinMag or 300UltraMag
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would go 300 win without the brake. 26 inch barrel will
    tame the 300 win. Muzzel brakes provide a litany of negatives that make managable recoil seem a plus. For
    example it is much more difficult to tune a load, makes the gun longer, restricts shooting positions, ie often no prone
    shots many more that you know about. I have a 300 and
    I had one with a brake previously, sold that puppy.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/16/03 5:05:18 am)
    Is this rifle suppressed or breaked??? WIN.300 is the way to go, not real sure of the 1-10 twist, but will answer when you answer the above.

LTS

ScREWtop
    (2/16/03 5:48:32 am)
    Thanks for your replies.

The rifle is not braked. I am intending to put a Reflex suppressor when its ready--silencers are legal in NZ.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/16/03 11:26:49 am)
    Thats what I thought.......what is the "true" barrel length.

LTS

Dry Powder
    (2/16/03 12:55:11 pm)
    Sorry, I misunderstood and bored everyone with an antibraking speech. Silencers, great idea! I did not know they were legal anywhere. Terrific.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/16/03 9:36:36 pm)
    ...not to worry....hate brakes too-believe they have been over sold and forced on many of us.

since you say it will have a 26" barrel, I will assume this will be a add on. You must consider this: a single contact suppressor will never be considered for MOA or sub MOA-they (no matter the maker) always suffer from wondering zero-ALWAYS! Now a two contact is a different story, as the rear of the can, makes contact at the rear and front---stabilizing the suppressor......these can also be removed and replaced (provided the same torque is applied) and retain no loss of zero. In larger caliber rifles......no one should "EVER" recommend a single contact suppressor---EVER! One slight touch of the wiper/baffles had lead to many blown cans-sometimes the rifle itself. Also remember to store the rifle barrel down and action open after firing and cleaning.

Regards LTS