1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

300WinMag or 300UltraMag

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

ScREWtop
    (2/16/03 2:34:23 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 300WinMag or 300UltraMag
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Guys,

I am building a new rifle and I would like your expert opinion please.

Choate tacticle stock; Winchester action; 26" stainless/fluted/super-grade; 1-10 tiwst for 150/180 bullets; Reflex T8M suppressor; 300winmag or 300ultramag (undecided yet).

The only thing that's bothering me now is whether to go with 300WinMag or 300UltraMag. I reckon if the Reflex silencer can cut recoil down I would prefer 300UltraMag. Any suggestions?

Recoil found in Chuck Hawk's website:
    300WinMag (180 at 2960) 8.5lbs = 25.9 feet (I think my gun will weight about 10lbs)
    300UltraMag (180 at 3230) 8.5lbs = 32.8 feet

Oh, is 1-10 twist advisible?

I would be grateful if I could get some advice before Tuesday because that's when my gunsmith is back from holiday and i'll have to tell him 300UltraMag or 300WinMag and if its gonna be 1-10 twist.

Thanks again guys.

Dry Powder
    (2/16/03 4:59:16 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 300WinMag or 300UltraMag
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would go 300 win without the brake. 26 inch barrel will
    tame the 300 win. Muzzel brakes provide a litany of negatives that make managable recoil seem a plus. For
    example it is much more difficult to tune a load, makes the gun longer, restricts shooting positions, ie often no prone
    shots many more that you know about. I have a 300 and
    I had one with a brake previously, sold that puppy.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/16/03 5:05:18 am)
    Is this rifle suppressed or breaked??? WIN.300 is the way to go, not real sure of the 1-10 twist, but will answer when you answer the above.

LTS

ScREWtop
    (2/16/03 5:48:32 am)
    Thanks for your replies.

The rifle is not braked. I am intending to put a Reflex suppressor when its ready--silencers are legal in NZ.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/16/03 11:26:49 am)
    Thats what I thought.......what is the "true" barrel length.

LTS

Dry Powder
    (2/16/03 12:55:11 pm)
    Sorry, I misunderstood and bored everyone with an antibraking speech. Silencers, great idea! I did not know they were legal anywhere. Terrific.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/16/03 9:36:36 pm)
    ...not to worry....hate brakes too-believe they have been over sold and forced on many of us.

since you say it will have a 26" barrel, I will assume this will be a add on. You must consider this: a single contact suppressor will never be considered for MOA or sub MOA-they (no matter the maker) always suffer from wondering zero-ALWAYS! Now a two contact is a different story, as the rear of the can, makes contact at the rear and front---stabilizing the suppressor......these can also be removed and replaced (provided the same torque is applied) and retain no loss of zero. In larger caliber rifles......no one should "EVER" recommend a single contact suppressor---EVER! One slight touch of the wiper/baffles had lead to many blown cans-sometimes the rifle itself. Also remember to store the rifle barrel down and action open after firing and cleaning.

Regards LTS