1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

303 british reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bighoss, Feb 10, 2012.

1. bighoss

bighoss New Member

i have some 165 gr cast bullets from hunter suppy company and i have h4895 powder i was thinking about starting out with 24grs or powder how do yall think that will do the 24grs is a reducded loaded
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

No it wont do. H4895 isnt suited to being reduced that much. reduced rifle loads with the wrong powder are as dangerous as too much powder. you will blow your face off.

Youd be well advised to get a couple of reloading manuals and do it right. You cant wing reloading practices and expect to make safe ammo.

the proper SAFE charge level with that powder and that bullet in the .303 brit is 35-39 gr.

For reduced cast bullet loads for that cartidge id recommend IMR or H 4198 or Accurate 5744.
  3. bighoss

bighoss New Member

those cast bullets it sayes that they are rated for 1600fps and that is what hunter suppy company said when i called them
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yeah you need to use a powder that will give you that velocity safely. using a powder youd normally use in a full power load but only using half wont work. the charge will detonate adn blow your rifle up. I know it seems that simple.. if a 39 gr charge pushes a 165 gr bullet 2500 fps then a 24 gr charge must push it 1600, it isnt that simple.

Im lookin in the Lyman book right now and it lists Unique, 2400, SR-4759, IMR-4227, XMP-5744 and IMR-4198 as suitable powders to reduced cast loads for the .303 british, all of which are fast burning powders compared to H4895, which is a medium speed powder normally suited to full power .303 brit loads.

I will also add to this that IMR trailboss would be a good choice as well. IF I were you, i would grab a pound of Unique and work up from 12 gr under the 165 gr bullets, 13.5 should give you a velocity around 1500 fps with little to no recoil. And the best part is it wont blow your face off. ;) That parts always a bonus.

One other question is, Are your bullet sized sufficiently for use in a typical .303? Or perhaps I should ask.. What rifle are you loading .303 for and are your bullets sized at least .311"?
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  5. bighoss

bighoss New Member

et see how i can word this ok i sluged the barrel if i put the mic were the groves are it is like a 313 and if i put the mic were there aint no groves its like a 303 the 165 gr cast bullets i got are 311
    should i use any filler in thoese if i am only useing 13grs of powder
    and sorry to sound so dumb i have been reloading for bout a year now but iam just getting in to doing the cast cause it is cheaper
    the rifle is a 303 brit its a #4 mark 1 and its a 2 grove
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

For it to work right you really need custom cast bullets sized .314" but you can use the .311s, your just probably going to get some leading. Dont use a filler, Some folks will use cream of wheat because they think its gonna make their load more consistent, but 13 gr of unique is gonna fill the .303 brit case a little over half way, there wont be an excessive amount of space left and the loads will work fine.

Your biggest problem is gonna be leading due to the undersized cast bullet.
  7. bighoss

bighoss New Member

ok so is it easy to see the leading and is it easy to get out
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The leading will be easy to see and sometimes is easy to get out, but most of the time its a real pain in the ass to remove, Using Unique you will have a very good bump at ignition so as long as your boolits arent cast excessively hard they should seal. If it all works out the only leading will be right at the throat where the bullet engages the rifling. if you end up with leading all the way down the bore the bullets arent sealing and the hot gasses are melting the bullet away and plating the bore with it.

It is actually a good thing your barrel is a 2 groover. that extra displaced lead from the excessively wide rifling lands will help to seal the bore.

You just might get away with this..

Make sure you meticulously clean your bore before you start shooting the cast boolits, it will help alot.
  9. bighoss

bighoss New Member

if i have any leading what should i use to get it out just reg bore solvant
    and if i do would getting some gas checks help
    JLA i have to say that you are a lot nicer than alot of ppl on the forums with being helpful and just for that i give you 2 thumbs up
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Elbow grease and a brass brush mostly, Kano Kroil is the best lead fouling remover ive used. Some here swear by the lewis lead remover.

Gas checked bullets might help, but they too need to bee .001" over groove diameter.

At this point all you can do is load up and give it a shot (no pun intended) you just might get lucky.
  11. bighoss

bighoss New Member

i will do that and i will post what the results are when i get my stuff and go to the range and thanks agen for all the help
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yep. best of luck to ya.
  13. bighoss

bighoss New Member

what lymans reloading book should i get i see that they have a lot out there so witch one is the best
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Lyman 49th is what I have. it lists cast data and full power jacketed data. though the cast bullet data is for 200 gr bullets, which would be safe to use with your 165s, you will just get more velocity than the 200 gr bullets do.

Another would be the cast bullet handbook from Lyman. But it obviously wont list any full power jacketed data.

Get you a chronograph too. that way you can load to the brink of the velocity limit of your bullets. I find most plain base cast bullets in rifle cartridges are most accurate around 1400-1500 fps.
  15. bighoss

bighoss New Member

the lyman cast bullet book is it the 4th one