.303 rifle identification

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Modemagic, Oct 20, 2012.

1. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Jack: Absolutely nothing at all wrong with jungle carbines, I love mine. The one presently nestled between a Long Branch No.4 Mk1* and Ross 1905 MkII*** is the nicest of many I've owned over the past 40+ years, so it's a keeper. It's ex-Malay Federation Police, matching numbers, great bore, and will hold minute of coffee can (1 lb.) at one hundred yards. Don't really need much more than that.
  2. Modemagic

Modemagic New Member

Here's a few pictures of the magazine area. Depressing the magazine release does nothing. The release doesn't even move and based on the filled in area of where I believe the magazine should go, I'm not surprised.

Attached Files:

3. nmckenzie

Interesting. Looks like someone spent some time and effort converting the triggerguard's magazine opening into the floor of a five round internal box mag - sort of like you'd find in a Mauser 98, M1917 or M1903. With the bolt open, can you depress what appears to be a conventional magazine follower? I'm assuming it's being held up there by spring tension and pushing against the lips of what was once a ten round magazine. If the follower can be depressed, how far down will it go?

There are just two screws holding the triggerguard to the action - one up forward with the swivel attatched, and one aft of the trigger running from left to right. Remove these two and you should be able to rotate the triggerguard out of the stock - lifting he nose of the guard and pivoting it up and out. Once the guard's free you'll be able to see what's what with the spring and follower, and also lift the barreled action free of the forend. I honestly can't see anyone going to that much trouble modifying a guard just to end up with a single shot rifle. That said, once the guard's out of the stock, see if anything's jammed or rusted solid inside the magazine box shell.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hawg, Bishop used Fajen buttplates when I had an eye to brain to fingers disconnect.

AFAIK, that was the only time.

Jim
  5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

OK Cool cuz I was wondering.:D:D:D
  6. Modemagic

Modemagic New Member

Sorry for the delay guys. I can push it in a few inches.
  7. nmckenzie

Kinda figured that might be the case. Looks like your father in-law had the rifle's magazine converted to four or five round capacity - possibly in keeping with hunting regs of the time, or perhaps just so it more closely resembled a higher $$$ sporting rifle. For a while, Golden State/Santa Fe Arms marketed a five round detatchable magazine for the Enfield No.4/5 series, but it still protruded below the stock. The solution used on your rifle is more elegant.
  8. nmckenzie

p.s. to previous.

I assume you also inherited some ammo for this rifle. If so, when loading the magazine make sure the rim of the top cartridge is ahead of the rim of the cartridge below it. If the top rim is behind the one below it the cartridge will jam on feeding. If you haven't done it already, but would like to remove the bolt - if only to experiment with cartridge placement, it's a very strightforward procedure. With the bolt in its rearmost position you'll notice a square spring loaded tab on the right side of the receiver. It sits right next to the bolt head. Move the bolt forward about 3/4", depress the tab, slide the bolt to the rear, rotate the bolt head to upright position, then slide the bolt out of the receiver. When replacing the bolt, rotate the bolt head so it depresses the spring loaded tab, and at the same time slide the bolt forward. That's all there is to it.