.308 Bullets for the 30-06?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mgatc, Dec 30, 2010.

1. mgatc

mgatc New Member

My son is using Sierra Match Kings, 168 BTHP in his .308. Can I use this bullet in the 30-06 so we can buy in bulk?

Thanx,

mg
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Handloaders have been doing this for years.
  4. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

.308 is the diameter of the bullet. 308 Winchester is a cartridge that uses a .308 or 30 caliber bullet. The 30-06 also uses a .308 diameter/30 caliber bullet as do many other cartridges like the 300 Win Mag, 30-30, 300 Savage, and several others.

So yes, You can use a .308 diameter bullet in your 30-06.
  5. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

OK, you have me wondering.

Are you both handloading?
    For how long?
    Do either of you own a handloading manual?

I really hate to sound critical and maybe it's just me, but it seems if you've spent any time at all reading up about what you're doing and done any nosing around through most any load manual(s), you would have already had the answer to this very basic question.

?????
  6. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member

No the brass is not the same.
  7. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

So what we have is the bullet itself is the same in 308 and 30-06 but the brass is different so the cartridge itself from a 308 will not fit in a 30-06.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have been using either the Sierra 168 grain BTHP or the Hornady 168 Grain V-max bullets in .308 and 30.06 for years.
  9. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Please explain? What does the size and shape of the brass case have to do with "caliber"? The 30-06 and the 308 Winchester are both 30 caliber and take the same diameter(.308) bullet.
  10. mikld

mikld Active Member

I agree with Bob. IMO you need to know the "basics"

"Cartridges of the World", and "The ABCs of Reloading" are great sources of info. But if your son is reloading for both of you (and is experienced), yes the Sierras are a good choice for the '06.

Just read your other post. Get The ABCs of Reloading, Lyman's 49th Edition Reloading Handbook, a manual from the manufacturer of the bullets you use, and a manual from the manufacturer of the powder you're using.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Tim Sr. answered a question not asked. He, apparently, presumed that, by "bullet", mgatc meant "cartridge". And buying bulk 308 cartridges would not work for use in a 30/06 rifle, as the brass is wrong.

Me, I prefer to answer the question that's asked. "Can I use bullets that were bought to load in my son's 308, in my 30/06?" Sure.
  12. mgatc

mgatc New Member

I appreciate all of the feedback. I knew I would be "hanging myself out there" with this question.
    In response, the reason that I posted this is because there is a great deal of ambiguity in reloading. I have read every manual/book that has been recommended and then some, and have been loading the .308 and .40 for a while with good (great?) results.
    Yes, I know that a .308 is .308 is a .308 BUT, this gets back to the ambiguity of the handloading world. There are tons of options with a lot of "do this but don't do that" caveats. Hence the popularity of this and other forums addressing these types of "what if" scenarios.
    I am very conservative when it comes to firearms and even more so with handloading. Hence my willingness to come across as inept in order to ensure that what I am considering is acceptable and safe.
    No offense taken, no apologies necessary.
    I am receptive to and greatly appreciate every bit of feedback offered. This forum has been and continues to be a valuable resource for me.
    Mel
  13. mikld

mikld Active Member

Not sure about the ambiguaty you mentioned, but I can give you my opinion on how to deal with all the opinions out there in cyberspace :)p mine too). Don't. Use only the load data (bullets, powder, primers) from a hard copy manual, as mentioned before; info. from bullet mfgs, powder mfgs, and a generic manual (Lyman's). I personally don't pay much attention to the forum "experts" or "gun shop gurus" as I can get better (safer) info. from my manuals...

And, excuse me for not welcoming you to the wonderful, and sometimes comfusing/frustrating world of reloading. :D
  14. mgatc

mgatc New Member

Thanks for the welcome!

Mikld, I think your description of re-loading as sometimes "confusing/frustrating" is what I was was thinking when I described it as "ambiguous".

I know of what you speak regarding "gun shop gurus". My son let a salesman at a big-box sporting goods store talk him into a "great powder and bullet combo" for the .40cal. I checked every manual I had and could not find it listed anywhere. I refused to use it and returned it to the store. Of course, they would not take returns on powder. I left it on the counter and took the loss. I did suggest that they advise the sales staff to be careful with their recommendations. I was not a happy camper. The silver lining is that I have found another store that has a good selection and no longer spend my money at the other.

Another lesson learned
  15. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

OK, you peaked my curiosity!! What was the "bullet/powder" combo that he recommended? I Gots Ta Know!