.308 Carl Gustav problem and questions

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by dirtdozert@yahoo.com, Oct 13, 2008.

1. dirtdozert@yahoo.com

dirtdozert@yahoo.com New Member

I have a Custom Carl Gustav mauser action. Kimber of America, Inc. Clacamas,OR, -M9E Sweden- Sporterized in USA. Thats the markings on the barrel glass beaded, fluted and floated .308WIN Carl Gustav mauser action. I dont know much about it. Im having problems with the scope mounts and need some gunsmithing. Can anyone give me some need to know info of this gun? My local gun shops just try to sale me a new one or can't fix it.

Attached Files:

• 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      File size:
      28.7 KB
      Views:
    • 034.jpg
      034.jpg
      File size:
      45.2 KB
      Views:
    • 036.jpg
      036.jpg
      File size:
      43.5 KB
      Views:
    • 038.jpg
      038.jpg
      File size:
      47.8 KB
      Views:
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Dirtydozert,

Welcome to our forum! Perhaps if you should explain your problem as exactly as you can, to get some help. As far as your rifle, Some years back Kimber of America reworked Swedish Mausers and sold them for a time. They were an attemp I believe at getting into a more affordable rifle than Kimber could build if they made the whole rifle. Your rifle is one of these. New barrel and stock and of course drilled for a scope mount. Best regards Kirk
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  3. dirtdozert@yahoo.com

Thanks for the reply I'm only a hunter. The rifle is a great gun and shoots very well. Last year I had new mounts put on it and one of the mount holes stripped. The shop used a lager screw that was course thread instead of fine.... Opening day of rifle season the scope took a pretty good blow and every other shot there is a drastic change 14" I realize I need to fix the holes bored in the action just need some pointers what would be the best way to repair. Thanks
  4. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Dirtdozert

Front or rear scope base? It would look unsightly, but there would appear to enough room on each reciever bridge to move the mount base fore or aft and re-drill&tap. Since the rifle has no sights, the base would cover the old holes, and would not have to come off. Other wise the approach taken is correct, drill to a larger size and re-tap with fine threads. Find yourself a gun smith who can do this....they are out there. It is getting close to hunting season, and you do not have much time. Gunsmiths generally don't want customer who need it yesterday! Best regards Kirk

P.S. Don't treat you rifle in such a manner that the scope gets whacked this hard!
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Another option to work around one stripped screw hole might be to use a one-piece scope mount like the Redfield #47157
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=474732

I'm guessing that it's one of the front base screws that stripped out since the rear mount on most Mauser base systems is typically mounted with only one screw. that rear mount might be loose.

You might also have a little burr on one of the scope mount holes that is keeping the mount from seating fully against the receiver allowing it to shift from shot to shot.

Since you mentioned that the scope took a pretty good whack...
    It's possible that the scope was damaged and your shifting zero is caused by the scope itself. If the mounts seem tight on the receiver, I'd swap a different scope onto the rifle and see if that one wanders as well.

I agree with Kirk...don't use the rifle as a club. :D

BTW, the model of the rifle is an M96...looking at your pictures, it looks like the 6 either got mis-stamped or something dinged it up. That'll make searching for parts easier. It's a sporterized version the Model 1896 Swedish Mauser which was originally military issue in Sweden. Kimber of America (which is different than the current Kimber that makes bolt-actions and 1911 pistols) imported many surplus "swedes" duirng the mid 80s to early 90s and offered them in this sporterized form.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  6. dirtdozert@yahoo.com

Thanks guys I believe i will move the mounts foward.
  7. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Your rifle was a M96 originally chamber in 6.5x55 Swede. The action was not designed to handle the higher pressures of the 308 Winchester. A lot of these Kimber conversions to .308, are showing up with bolt lug setback. I would highly recommend you reload your own ammo to lower pressures.
  8. Mark

Mark New Member

Watch where you are drilling when you move the holes. It is not accepted practice to drill into a locking lug.
    Mark