.308 case discoloration

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Sinsaba, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Sinsaba

Sinsaba New Member

I purchased some components from an individual (bullets and cases). The cases are supposed to be new (and for all I can tell they are) but it appears that these components weren't stored well and some of the cases have discoloration even after tumbling.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure what caused it. Has anybody seen anything like this and are there any thoughts as to any impact it might have on the integrety of the case?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

It does appear that they were stored in a wet and probably slightly acidic environment. I'd fire them once and then carefully inspect them, most of the time a light tarnish won't hurt anything, but that is some heavy deep tarnish if that pic is after a good tumble. If you can get a refund, I think I'd insist on it. I just don't like using brass that is that dark, it's harder to inspect and detect future flaws. I'm not sure how that amount of tarnish would affect a case; I do know that the lightly tarnished cases that I use have lasted just as long as the better looking ones.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Here's an example of "tarnish" / bad brass mix that I would not shoot or reload at all.

Attached Files:

4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

They were stragglers that got dumped out of the liquid cleaner that Federal uses when they final polish their brass late and/or not dried properly before packaging.
    I've had surface discoloration like that with new Remington brass as well as Federal.

As long as the surface of the brass isn't etched and rough it should just be cosmetic staining and it'll polish off after a few more trips through the tumbler.
    Are you using any polish in your tumbler media or do you run it dry? If dry, it'll take longer to polish than if you use "loaded" media.
  5. Sinsaba

Sinsaba New Member

crushed wallnut with a bit of powdered rouge added.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012