308 loads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by sendit308, Nov 9, 2008.

1. sendit308

sendit308 New Member

CURRENTLY I LOAD 46.0 gr OF VARGET AND SHOOT A REMINGTON SPS TACTICAL W/20 INCH BARREL. THE BARREL AND ACTION ARE MOUNTED ON A H/S FULLY BEDDED STOCK. I BELIVE I FOLLOWED THE CORRECT PROCEDURE WORKING UP MY LOAD AND I SHOOT CONSISTANT GROUPS ( ABOUT 1 TO 1.25 INCHES @ 200 YD) I GET AN AVG OF 2700 TO 2710 fps. HOWEVER I WOULD LIKE TO TIGHTEN MY GROUPS UP TO BELOW 1 INCH. ALSO I NEED 85 PLUS 1/4 INCH CLICKS TO REACH 600 YD, MY BUDDIES USE AROUND 55 TO 59 CLICKS WITH 24 AND 26 INCH BARRELS.

CAN ANYONE SUGGEST LOAD DATA FOR 308 USING VARGET, SIERRA 168smk, HORNADY MATCH BRASS AND CCI 200 PRIMERS? OR HAVE I RECEIVED THE BEST RESULTS ONE SHOULD EXPECT WITH MY SETUP?:confused:
  2. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Welcome aboard, sendit. If those results were mine I'd be very happy. Yours is one of the standards for accuracy, and very similar to my 1,000 yard load; I use the 175 grain SMK, Varget, Remington brass and Federal Gold Medal primers.

The first thing I would consider is case preparation. If you don't already, try these things; segregate brass for weight and consistency, make sure you deburr the inside of the flash hole, clean out the primer pocket. Also, play with bullet seating depths if you are seating close to or into the lands.

As far as your elevation adjustments, make sure you are comparing apples to apples; pay no attention to the other guy's clicks, how many minutes is he moving and from what initial range setting? Also, if you're not already doing so, start keeping a detailed data book on your rifle, ammunition and range activity.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  3. sendit308

sendit308 New Member

THANKS USMC-03, I AM GOING TO CONSIDER A DIGITAL SCALE TO WEIGH MY BRASS AND EXPERIMENT WITH BULLET SEATING DEPTH. I AM ALSO GOING TO ORDER A FLASH HOLE DEBURR TOOL.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

another thing you can try in order to squeeze just a little more precision from your rifle is to mark the orientation of the case with a sharpie in order to place the cartridge back into the chamber in the same orientation it was originally fired in. Nearly all chambers bear small imperfections and slight inconcentricities that directly affect the accuracy potential of a particular rifle and cartridge. ensuring the re-loaded round gets placed back in the chamber in the same spot it was originally fired from will 'soak' up these accuracy robbing inconcentricities and thereby improve accuracy, sometimes quite profoundly. another trick to couple with this method is to neck size only. this can be done with either a neck sizing die or by simply backing your full length die out until it just kisses the fire formed case at the shoulder. This method is more for tightening up the headspacing of the cartridge, and coupled with the method described above, and the others USMC-03 described will have a drastic effect on the performance of a particular rifle/cartridge combination. USMC-03 has a solid gold suggestion in making a range notebook for your rifle, i would also add that it is a good idea to chronograph your loads and document them in this notebook, and once you have accumulated data on that 'pet' load, use a ballisitics calculator to make a range card for your particular weapon system.
  5. sendit308

sendit308 New Member

THANKS JLA I WILL ADD YOUR TRICKS TO MY BAG. ALSO I HAVE BEEN KEEPING A RANGE BOOK. I KEPT DETAILED NOTES WHILE WORKING UP MY LOAD AND WHEN I CHRONOGRAPHED THEM. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR INPUT.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

You're very welcome, those tricks among others have served me very well.