.308 Marlin Express

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by thomas44, Oct 19, 2008.

1. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

Has anybody here had any experience with this cartridge ? In general, are there any Marlin lever fans here ?
  2. CTM

CTM New Member

i am very interested in this also
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I have shot Marlin levers all my life and love them. Being left handed, it was the only choice back in the early 40s for comfortable shooting.

I have owned the 336 in .30-30 and .35 Remington. I now own an 1894 in .44 Mag and my premier rifle, a 39 .22 calibre. If the Marlin were made in .30-06, I would have one.

My current and longtime deer gun, when not in close quarters, is a Browning BLR and previously I used a Browning special reproduction of the Winchester 1895 in .30-06.

Wouldn't trade any of them for anything else. I would like to add a Marlin 1895XLR in .45-70 to the group.....
  4. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

Have you scoped any of them, or is that considered blasphemy ? lol
    When did they come out with the 336 ? That stainless one with the laminated stock looks pretty cool. The .308 M.E. sounds like an interesting cartridge.
  5. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Marlin,
    You sold your 336 in .35 Rem? BAD, BAD BOY! Bet you are kicking your butt.

thomas44,
    My 336 is scoped because my eyes are getting weak and I use this gun on animals that I don't want to track-down injured (i.e. wild hogs with big tusks). For close-up work I use a Rossi in .357 Mag with iron sights. Lever guns are intended for shots out to 100-125 yards. If you can handle that with iron sights, go for it. Otherwise, a scope is just fine - unless you are carrying it though the brush all day.

Getting back on the subject matter, I don't have experience with the .308, but everything I have read has been positive. I have reservations about any lever gun being good for shots beyond 150 yards, but that's just me. Out that far you WILL want a scope, which, to some degree, defeats the advantage of the nimble handling lever action. For the long shots - I'll stick with Thompson Center.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I didn't sell it, Contenderizer. It was stolen, along with several others that were taken when our home was broken into while away for the weekend back in the early nineties.

The .35 calibre was scoped and was a fine shooter. Presently, my only lever that is scoped has a Burris Fullfield with the mil-spec reticle is the Browning Lightning BLR .30-06, for similar reasons as yours. I am a traditionalist, though, and still have the scope mounted on low profile see through sights and use the iron sights more than the scope !!!!!!

I would like very much to try the .308 Express in one of the new XLR rifles. My really want list, though, is an 1895XLR in .45-07, of course. All that I have read about the .308 has been highly positive. I had always wished Marlin made a lever in the 06. Maybe the new .308 Express is the closest we will see.
  7. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

I would suspect you are correct unless Marlin does away with the tubular feed. I don't recall what it was called, but one manufacturer made a lever gun where the cartridges were "off center" in the tube, so that the point of the bullet never touched the primer of the round in front of it. I don't know why this never caught-on with any of the other gun makers.

In any case, sorry to hear about your theft.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  8. whirley

whirley Member

Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. is my sons only deer rifle. He's left handed and I've tried to get him to try levers in other calibers. His reply.....I shoot, it drops, I walk up to it. You shoot your high velocity rifles, the bullet goes through and you have to trail it. One shot---meat in the pot!
  9. Halwg

Halwg New Member

I'm actually more interested in the .338 Marlin Express. As far as I can tell it has not been released yet. If anyone hears when it's coming out, please post it.
  10. RCGUIDRY

RCGUIDRY New Member

I love the lever guns, i have a 336 in 35 rem. and a 39A. Thinking of putting a scout scope on the 336 due to old eyes. According to the hornady data the 308 express is just a little slower than a 308 conventional round but performs very well. I might look into one next year.
  11. 9 fingers

9 fingers New Member

I have'nt tried the 308 and think maybe ammo might not be that common with only only Marlin making a gun that shoots it. It SHOULD be a good round though and you know Marlin makes a good gun. I LOVE lever guns and have 2 - 336, a 39a (my favorite) and have a 1894 22 Mag on it's way in a week or so. I also have a Mossberg 472 and Winchester 94. Probably need to get a Henry sometime and if I get rich, a Taylor copy of an 1893. A gunsmith showed me one and it was love at first sight, but $1200 is lot for a gun, at least for me. let us know how it goes with the .308 if you get it.
  12. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Buds gun shop has 2 of them listed as in stock. ss and blued models.