.308 Savage or Remington?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by gun runner, Sep 25, 2012.

1. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Im considering buying a .308 instead of a .338 lapua magnum due to the fact the ammo is kinda high for the .338

I just dont know which brand of guns. Im thinking on going with Savage but if so what model would you recommend? I want a wood stock but Id like to get one i can change the stock to a sniper stock or some kind of stock like used for professional competition shooting. Im also thinking about going with a Remington though. Which is more accurate?

Thanks.
  2. Airdale

Airdale Member

I would tend to go with the Savage only because they're easier to hot rod without the assistance of a smith. Take a look at their Law Enforcement series
    (no wood stocks) they are pretty much put together for what you want (varment barrel contour, detachable mags. etc.). Take your time and be sure of what you want. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

I heard that Remington is supposed to becoming out with a long range model 700
    but haven't seen it. You might want to check on that.
  3. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo New Member

I picked up a Savage 10 and threw a Boyds stock on it along with a Nikon Pro-Staff. works great on the Hogs

Attached Files:

• gs4.jpg
      gs4.jpg
      File size:
      90.4 KB
      Views:
    • gs5.jpg
      gs5.jpg
      File size:
      91.4 KB
      Views:
  4. jbrescue

jbrescue New Member

You should be able to get a LE Savage for less than the 700. You will probably get a better shooting gun too.
  5. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Thanks folks for the help, it helped out. I need to get a balance tommorow since I cant tonight since I been drinking a few beers :D. Im certainly going to research the .308 Savages. Im just concerned since Marlin got bought out by remington and the remlins been having trouble with people
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Savage 10 or Rem 700.. Take your pick. I prefer savages but only because they are easier to rebarrel. from a nongunsmithing standpoint they are equals, performance wise, they are equals and the rem 700 is aesthetically more pleasing.
  7. HAGEN442

HAGEN442 New Member

Both are Great Rifless .
  8. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Remington did not buy Marlin.

Remington, Marlin, H&R, Bushmaster, DPMS and a few others have been purchased by the Freedom Group.

I don't know all the facts about the Freedom Group. But I do know that as each company has been bought up by them they make major changes in those old American companies that usually results in lower quality and customer service for us and higher profits for the Freedom Group.

In my opinion (and many others too) Marlin, Remington, Bushmaster and others have gone down hill. The amount of complaints reported now is amazingly high. The price of used Pre-Freedom Group Marlin rifles have climbed high because people in the know do not want a new Marlin.

Remington has been importing guns that are stamped Remington. They aren't true American made quality guns. Their quality has also dropped too on their guns made here in my opinion.

I have been a big fan of both Marlin and Remington since the 1960's but I will not buy a new gun from either company. If I want a new Remington or Marlin I look for the far better quality USED older guns.

With all of that said...I would go with a Savage if I want a new gun or a used Remington made before the Freedom Group took over.
  9. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Exactly, Im going to call around to get some prices on Savage .308 rifles.
  10. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

Savage! You will love the acutriger.:)
  11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Plus with savage , even with the bottom line stevens rifle you can over time upgrade ever part on it at home . They do also sell out of the box match grade rifles with there target series. remmy never did that.
  12. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Remington get the 700 p with 5r rifling and you are set.
  13. markfh

markfh New Member

Bought my second Savage, model 10/110 FCP HS Precision with 24" fluted and threaded barrel and 5r rifling. Slapped Ken Ferrel scope base and mounts on it and a SWFA SS10x42 scope. Set the Accutrigger at 1.5 Lbs and out of the box it shot 3/4 MOA with Black Hills Match.

Can I say more.
  14. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i have three older savage tactical 110 rifles,223,308,and 300 win mag.i purchased them a few years ago and the accuutrigger was not available.i install canjar trigger groups and have them all set at a little less than two pounds.i can shoot one inch groups or less all day long. nuff said? old semperfi
  15. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I bought a brand new Savage 10 .308 , the thread should be around here with the picture of it