.308 Savage or Remington?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by gun runner, Sep 25, 2012.

1. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Gun runner Befor you order some fancey stock you may want visit a long range competition and see what shooters use in different class's. You will find stock looking rifles shooting 1" groups at 300 to 400 yards. With any extra money lay'n around spend it on a good front and rear rifle rest and scope. You may find you can shoot long range groups that far excede what you think is practical. When you feel you ready look for some fun match like an egg match around your area. But when you are ready for a step up in class shooting look at what mcmillian offers as they can cover most any design up to a heavy bench class along with triggers and barrel upgrades.
  2. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Ummmm when did 1)Freedom group purchase Remington and 2) when did they start importing rifles?? The reason I ask I am about to buy used Remington .308 that the fella purchased in Dec 2011. He only wants 275 and yes he is willing to give me a bill of sale.
  3. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Sounds like an idea. What do you think is the maximum distance you think for shooting tight groups with a .308 caliber even though these rifles can easily go over 3 miles? Someone said about 500-600 yards with a .223 but Id like to shoot some targets around the 1000-1500 yard range and if so what scope would you recommend to see where my shots are going at that distance without a spotting scope?
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  4. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

A good set of milspec binoculars for you spotter in addition to whatever scope the fellas recommend
  5. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

You ever seen long range pursuit on the sportsman channel? I wonder what kind of scopes are they using?
  6. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Nope. However "long range" IMO is a relative term in urban combat max range 500 meters. A place like Afgan - a Canadian sniper got a kill at 2340 meters. The scopes they use are Unerti X10 or Kahlies Helios zf69 6X42 mounted on a parker hale 7.62 nato.
  7. Country101

Country101 Active Member

:yeahthat:
  8. Country101

Country101 Active Member

A little searching found this(CCM is freedom group's owners):

In June 2007, a private equity firm, Cerberus Capital Management, acquired Remington Arms for $370 million, including $252 million in assumed debt. This happened because Remington was millions of dollars in debt and did not report a profit during the years 2003-2005.[7]
  9. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Thanks so I am getting a "newer' remington AFTER they were bought out-thus the 275 price. Well I will see what I can do with it.
  10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

gun runner 500 yards to 600 is something that may be pratical. The round is capible out to 1000 a5ds but how accurate it will shoot my not be what you hope for. Handloading with be a must at the langer yardage but you may find a national match load or even a some hunting loads that shoot well enought to enjoy.

If your wanting to play at 1000 yards a scope of atleast the level of the leupold target series or sightron s-III and a 20 or 30 mil scope base is needed and on up. But a 24 power will work out 500 and for egg matchs. - http://swfa.com/Sightron-8-32x56-SIII-30mm-Riflescope-P48422.aspx
    http://swfa.com/Leupold-Competition-Riflescopes-C108.aspx
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  11. cutter

cutter New Member

Did you glass bed the new stock? I picked up 2 new stocks from boyds and am thinking of glass bedding them.
  12. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

Well I've bought 5 new Marlins in the past few years and I'm happy with them. Some are better than others of course. Some are exceptionally good in fact. None are what I would call bad although I do need to send one to the factory because of light strikes.

Remington is another story. So are Marlin centerfires. All my Marlins have been rimfires.

I'd have had to think long and hard about which to get (Remington or Savage) a few years ago. I nearly bought a Remington Sendero (which is a long range 700 that has been around a long time) but then I saw what Savage was doing in F Class and F/TR competitions. They have been winning using factory rifles shooting against custom rifles. And those competitions include rounds where they shoot 1000 yards. I figured any off the rack rifle that could win a competition like that (they won several world championships) must be good. So I bought a 12 LRPV in .223. It's a varmint rifle but I basically use it for long range plinking. And it shoots like a dream. I can't believe how well it shoots.

The last trip I took to the gun club I was shooting on the 400 yard range. Someone had left a Shoot N See target there. Actually they left several but one wasn't shot up. I shot at that target 3 times and put 2 rounds dead center in the bullseye and the other missed a whole inch. That's not typical but 2" groups are typical. At 400 yards with a bone stock rifle. It's about their best bone stock rifle but still it's bone stock.

Remington has been making great rifles for a very long time. You can probably find a very good one around. I actually bought my Savage used but only barely used. I'm talking less than 10 rounds through it. Someone just didn't spend the time to break it in and they probably didn't like the weight of the thing (it's no hunting rifle) so they sold it and I bought it. They sold it through a LGS and they actually told the shop owner it didn't shoot that well. Supposedly the guy that owned it was an experienced shooter too. When I told the shop owner what that gun will do his jaw hit the floor. He knew he sold me a great rifle at a great price (if you can call $1000 a great price). That price was about $200 off the normal retail for a new one.

All I can say is if Remington can build one better I will be very impressed. I don't know if I just got the one really good one or not but I've heard other people say their Savages work really well too. I know every Savage I own works well.