.308 winchester

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ral, Jul 22, 2012.

1. ral

ral New Member

i purchased a Winchester model 88 serial #41722 manufactured 1957 used 1973- it was re-blued and had a custom stock when i got it - it has a weaver marksman scope 4x and a leather sling - it is in excellent condition - i have only put about 30 rounds through it and none since 1975 -i am trying to find out private sale value and also a trade in value.

any help would be appreciated

this my first post so be gentle
  2. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Hello ral,

Anytime a pre-64 Winchester is refinished or altered, it forever destroys the collector value, and relegates it to being a "shooter". The graded condition can not "excellent" for a refinished gun. By established grading standards, your rifle is 0%.

Now, and as a "shooter" in a decent caliber, I suspect that it is worth approximately $250 to somebody looking for a decent hunting rifle. Trade-in value is likely to be considerably less.

Bert H.
  3. ral

ral New Member

i appreciate your info - not being a gun person i guess re-blueing decreases the value but i thought the purpose of a gun was to be a shooter - i think i'll just keep

i really do appreciate your input thanks