1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

.308 winchester

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ral, Jul 22, 2012.

1. ral

ral New Member

i purchased a Winchester model 88 serial #41722 manufactured 1957 used 1973- it was re-blued and had a custom stock when i got it - it has a weaver marksman scope 4x and a leather sling - it is in excellent condition - i have only put about 30 rounds through it and none since 1975 -i am trying to find out private sale value and also a trade in value.

any help would be appreciated

this my first post so be gentle
  2. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Hello ral,

Anytime a pre-64 Winchester is refinished or altered, it forever destroys the collector value, and relegates it to being a "shooter". The graded condition can not "excellent" for a refinished gun. By established grading standards, your rifle is 0%.

Now, and as a "shooter" in a decent caliber, I suspect that it is worth approximately $250 to somebody looking for a decent hunting rifle. Trade-in value is likely to be considerably less.

Bert H.
  3. ral

ral New Member

i appreciate your info - not being a gun person i guess re-blueing decreases the value but i thought the purpose of a gun was to be a shooter - i think i'll just keep

i really do appreciate your input thanks