The Firearms Forum banner

.310-.311 Buddits for my Mosin...Where should I look?

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  inplanotx 
#1 ·
I'm having trouble finding .311 bullets, I've been to MANY gunshops in the past couple of weeks big and small, and Gander Mountain too...all I want is 100 just to test....for now.

Midway LISTS them, but on their website only has light .310 bullets like 123 or 125 gr. meant for the x39, and several .311 I would like to try, BUT are "out of stock" on the 174 gr HPBT Match Kings I REALLY wanted to try, as well as any of the heavier ones, and only seem to have a 150 gr. in stock. They have several heavy .312 bullets, for the .303 or 7.7 Jap, but I want to keep it at .311, I don't want to push my luck, both bores are pretty new and nice, so probably wouldn't need the .312 to fit.

Where is a good place to try and find them?

#3 ·
Thanks, Kentuckian, I will check out Grafs. That 174 grain is what I'm looking for, I've heard the longer, heavier bullets seem to work better than the 147-150 gr. "light ball" ones in the carbines, but not the rifles. Plus the .3105 diameter is interesting, I'e only seen .311 and .312. The Russian and Polish groove diameter is actually .310 so that might be better.

You gave me an idea though, I still have about 100 or so rounds of that crappy Albanian, I just might have to buy a puller. I could always use one anyway, even though I've managed so far without. (OK, I needed one once, but I managed to borrow it! ;) )

I wouldn't use the powder though, that's what could be what makes them so inconsistant, plus I have a couple of other powders I want to try already, 4031 and 4065.

I was in a big Gander Mountain in Wichita Thursday, and they did stock both .311 Sierra bullets, and .312 Hornady bullets intended for the .303, but they were a little pricey, plus I didn't know how the TSA would react to bullets in a carry on at the airport! :p I probably could have checked my bag though.

They also had some Sellior and Bellot x54, 150 FMJ and 180 grain SP for 11.99, but I shied away after hearing the tales about their case life.

G
#5 ·
inplanotx said:
Hey Polish, do you mean 3031 and 4064? ;) :D :D :D Those .3105 bullets will probably be perfect along with the 4064 which is slower burning than the 3031. :D :D :D
You know, I wondered about that too when I saw the powder designations, Inplano. I didn't post anything because I figured maybe someone had come out with some new powders I hadn't yet seen.

Polish, I've had excellent luck with IMR 4064 in a 30-06 using 165 and 168 grain bullets. It even works well with 180s, though I seldom load bullets that heavy in the 30-06 unless I intend to use them for hunting big mulies or elk. If you're looking for maximum range, however, my rifles seem to prefer H4831 or IMR 4350 with medium weight (150-168 grain) bullets. The ballistics on the 7.62x54R are fairly close to the '06, so you would likely get similar performance.

#6 ·
Yeah, guys, I screwed up, remember I was a HISTORY major so by definition I suck at numbers... :cool:

Actually, the 3031 is a little less than half a can left over from the reloading stuff I inherited from my wife's grandfather, he loaded for his .30-40 with it, but being at LEAST 24 years old (he died in 1982, which is when I got my turn to own the '97, has it been THAT long??? :eek: )I'd really be afraid to use it...does powder degrade over time, or change consistency? And as miserly as HE was, it was probably 20 years old THEN... ;)

The 4064 I bought a couple of years ago when I reloaded sa few rounds for my son's Type 38, so I figured I'd start with it.

Both the Polish and Russian 44s I rebuilt both look like they had very few rounds down the bore, in fact the 300 or so rounds I put through both of them so far is probably the most they were ever shot.

In the reloading stuff from Gramps is a plastic unlabeled box with about 40 .308 cal bullets, spire points, but I don't know what kind, I THINK they are Sierra, that he used in the Krag to hunt with. I weighed them, and they are 150 gr. Do you think I should start with them and see if they work? He also has some 125 gr. .308 FMJs Sierras in an OLD Sierra bullet box in there, he used to use for his "bunny loads" that he also used for Turkey, but I don't think I will try them. Does anybody load them for the x54?

#7 ·
polishshooter said:
I wouldn't use the powder though, that's what could be what makes them so inconsistant, plus I have a couple of other powders I want to try already, 4031 and 4065.
I don't think the problem is the powder itself, as much as it's the inconsistency of the charge. I've seen the powder charge in milsurp ammo vary by as much as a full grain.

In addition to the powders you mentioned, you might also put Varget and BLC2 on your list of powders to try.

#8 ·
Actually, the 3031 is a little less than half a can left over from the reloading stuff I inherited from my wife's grandfather, he loaded for his .30-40 with it, but being at LEAST 24 years old (he died in 1982, which is when I got my turn to own the '97, has it been THAT long??? )I'd really be afraid to use it...does powder degrade over time, or change consistency? And as miserly as HE was, it was probably 20 years old THEN...
Open the can and smell the powder. If it smells like vinegar, pour it in the driveway outside and light it. It will just burn, but it is an easy way to make sure it gets thrown away properly. If it smells like solvent, it is good. I have IMR powders that are 20+ years old and have been stored in my garage and are still good.

Last time I was in AZ with a buddy's old SMLE, we were firing milsurp ammo from the 50's. He had about 30 rounds. You would put the rifle to your shoulder and pull the trigger and it would go "click.................BANG". Like shooting a slow flintlock! It was fun though, you never knew which rounds would do it.

I would mic the .308 bullets you found and then find a jacketed recipe and start with minimum loads. This way you do not have to worry about the jacket material. Fire them off and be happy! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.