.32 ACP load

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Maximilian II, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

So, I've been having a lot of fun with my little Hungarian semiauto. I've been using FMJ's so far. My thought is that the .32 is pretty anemic and I'll need as much penetration as possible if I were to need it to protect myself. It's not my primary defense gun but might end up that way since I like carrying it. It's easier to tuck away than my other big, heavy guns.

So the qustion is, what does this esteemed group reccomend as a defensive load in this caliber?
    I don't handload as yet, so I'm looking at factory loads here.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I read, some years back, that the 32 ACP ball was a good defensive load, because it had the power to get into the trunk cavity, but no enough to get out. So it just kinda ricochets around inside, bouncing from bone to bone, and making mincemeat out of the internal organs. Good theory, but I don't know if I believe it.

The trouble with "defensive ammo", in an automatic, is you need to shoot a bunch of it, to be absolutely sure it will function in your gun. Being attacked by four thugs, and being armed with an 8-shot 32 is bad enough. Being attacked by four thugs, and your gun fails to feed the second round would truly suck. But "defensive ammo" is outrageously expensive. I think the best load for this caliber would be Glasser Safety Slugs. But they are close to three dollars EACH. So, I'll just go run 100 of those through my gun to make sure they work. :eek: Yeah. If I could afford that, I'd buy a bigger gun.

I've had good luck with Winchester Silvertips, in one of my Colt 1903s. They fed fine. Price ain't too bad. Leastways, it wasn't until ammo prices went crazy. Haven't priced any lately.
  3. GBertolet

GBertolet Member

Try Fiochi ammo for your 32ACP. They have a 73 gr fmj that is hot compared to US standards.
  4. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

rimrock 78gr lead on top of 2.2gr of bullseye replicates the velocity and feel of a fiochi or S&B. i can load on my lee about 180 per hour but ain't fun--tiny cases and little bullets. P32 in a wallet holster is a good walk-the-dog gun and walther 4 / colt 1903 among others are fun shooters.load 1.8 gr for older guns and 2.0 is like modern american ammo.
    i use bullseye cause it has the least muzzle flash and most velocity for these short bbl guns.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  5. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

6. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

7. GBertolet

GBertolet Member

Be advised it is not wise as from a civil liability viewpoint to use reloaded ammo for social use. Even if you are legal in the use of force. The perp's lawyer or those of his family will try to get a big payday, convincing a jury in civil court that you created this ammo to inflict additional pain and suffering. Don't laugh it's happened. Stick with factory ammo for business and use the reloads for practice.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Please give details about where it happened.

I've heard this, time and again. Prosecutor goin' on and on about you being holed up in your "armory", makin' your "killer bullets" because the stuff you buy in the stores isn't "destructive enough". I just haven't seen anybody list a court case.

Kinda like the folks that say if you shoot cowboy you should not carry. If you shoot somebody they will be painting you as a "wannabe gunslinger, that spends his weekends shooting pretend badguys, and know wanders the streets, looking to make his fantasies happen".

When someone posts a link to a court case, I'll believe it. Until then, I'll just throw the flag.
  9. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

alpo i kinda seem to agree with you on this, i have heard of the stories, but i haven't seen any proof. they even warned me of reloaded ammo when i took my concealed carry course.

if you where justified in the use of force... and didnt go to criminal court, i dont see how the victim or his family would know you used reloads if he sued you in civil court. it makes some differance where you live at too. here in the hills of kentucky. you can get away with a lot more than you can in a major city. some old man i know shot a couple people with a 12 guage for stealing copper wire out of a house his sister was building... nothing ever come of it... he even refused to give the cops his gun.

just wondering how it really could make a differance.
  10. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

My preferred .32 would be the TT-7.62, which is really 7.65, but it's a Russian thing, I guess.
  11. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Around my area we have a little item called the castle doctrine which means I can just about kill someone with rocks loaded into a polish canon if there is an imenent felony on my property OR anywhere I have the right to be, including inside my vehicle, at a friends house or even in a hotel room, and the family cannot seek damages of any kind :D
  12. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Another possible "urban myth" about liability has circulated around here. I've been advised to take down any "Beware of Dog" signs. Reason is, you obviously KNEW the dog was dangerous, and shouldn't have left it in your yard where someone jumping your fence to break in your door might get eaten!