32 Cal. H&R Revolver Ammunition

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Seecampster, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Seecampster

Seecampster New Member

Dear Members,

I have a 32 cal. H&R Revolver:

Type: PR

Model # 732

It loads a Remington 32 S&W Long 98 grain center fire cartridge
    ( Part No. R32SWL). The question is, I am having a hard time finding these cartridges locally. I have found an internet distributer who carries what seems to be the cartridge but, it goes under the part No. 22208-R32SWL). Does anyone know if there is a difference between Part no.
    R32SWL and Part no. 22208-R32SWL Remington cartridges? Also, does anyone have the name of a good distributer for this ammunition? Currently, I am looking at SomeCampingStoreOnline located out of Texas, I live in Michigan.

Thank you,

Seecampster
  2. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

You might try Ten-X ammo or MidwayUSA....my local Toy store has 'em in stock but they are nearly $30 a box. going to reload my next batch
  3. dirttrackdemon

dirttrackdemon New Member

I have one of those, got my ammo from Cabala's. Mine is a Taurus. Nice gun
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the "R32SWL" is the remington number and stands for "Remington 32 Smith & Wesson Long" the other numbers "22208" are that company order numbers for this cartridge, they are the same cartridge.

your model 732 will handle any company's loading of the 32 S&W Long and for that matter it will handle any loading of the 32 S&W. it will not handle any 32-20, 32 ACP or 32 Magnum loads.
    bill
  5. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I have the H&R 732 revolver myself. As per Phillip Sharpe in his loading manual "Complete Guide To Handloading" guns chambered for 32 S&W long will fire a total of about 5 cartridges safely. One of them is 32acp. 32 acp operates at the same pressure as 32 S&W long & is semi rimmed & shoots well in my 732 & is easier to find & cheaper than the S&W cartridges. 32 mag is not one to try in this gun for pressure reasons. I'm trying to remember what the other cartridges are that are safe for 32 S&W guns & 32 Colt & 32 Colt new police are coming to mind. The 32 S&W is fine to shoot but you can actually see the bullet in-flight it's so slow.
    The 732 is a good little revolver with it's tranfer bar safety system & it runs smoothly. I've had mine about 20 years now & I like it alot. If you can't find 32 S&W long for it don't hesitate to shoot 32acp in your gun. Same performance & pressure but easier to find & sometimes cheaper.
  6. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

b. goforth is our H&R expert, but I have to agree with Popgunner on this.

.32 ACP ammo will work and is safe in your modern H&R revolver. I've used the Remington FMJ load for years in my .32 Long revolvers. The recoil is mild and extraction is easy.

Buy a box of .32 Auto ammo and try it out.
  7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i have been known to fire some 32 acp in some revolvers chambered for the 32 S&W Long but i can't morally recommend their use in a revolver i haven't seen (checked out myself) and have no idea of its condition or how its been treated in the past. using this as guide i find it best to recommend only what the manufacturer recommends. there is no H&R factory published litature anywhere that says is it ok to fire the 32ACP in a H&R model 732. whatever someone wants to do is up to them but if problems arise they are his fault and not mine.

if indeed philip sharpe recommended the use of 32 colt cartridges (short or long) in revolvers chambered for the 32 S&W Long he is asking for a law suit. the 32 Colt New Police and the 32 S&W Long are basically the same cartridge (difference is in the bullet shape). the 32 colt is another story, the 32 colt cartridge case has a smaller diameter and uses a heeled bullet. when fired in a revolver chambered for the 32 S&W Long the least that will happen is the cartridge case will split open causing gas leakage.

bill
  8. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Sharpe's recomendation is that the 32 Colt new police & 32 S&W long are "absolutely interchangeable". In his load manual he lumps the two cartridges together for loads & says this:

"loading data for one can readily be applied to the other as these two cartridges are absolutely interchangeable and produce similar ballistics."

Concerning using 32acp ammo in a revolver chambered for 32 S&W long he states under info for the 32acp:

"This cartridge can be shot in standard factory loadings in any revolver chambered for the 32 S&W long cartridge. The shell is of the semi-rimmed variety rather than rimless." (Sharpe)
    I would note here that industry standards for .32 acp can be as high as 20,000 psi while the .32 S&W long standards are down around 12-15,000 psi for the old break-top revolvers. I wouldn't use .32 acp in a break-top revolver.

Of the 32 short Colt Sharpe says:

"The .32 short Colt is somewhat smaller in diameter than the .32 smith & wesson. Generally speaking, it doesn't pay to reload these small short cartridges, as the equivalent loading can be obtained in the longer cartridges with like charges of powder.The short Colt can be used in any revolver chambered for the .32 Smith & Wesson long or .32 long Colt."
    (from "Complete Guide to Handloading" by Phillip Sharpe)

Sharpe's list of cartridges useable in revolvers chambered for the .32 S&W long would be:
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W long
    .32 short Colt (probably less acurrate because of smaller dia)
    .32 long Colt
    .32 Colt new police
    *I suggest anyone wanting to use this info first obtain a copy of his book & decide for yourself if this info is safe.

The most useful substitution is the .32 acp ammo because it can be more readily available & can be cheaper than the 32 S&W long ammo but has the same performance/pressure. I'm not familiar with a "32 Colt" cartridge. Just 32 short Colt, 32 long Colt & 32 Colt new police so I can't comment on that cartridge.

Regards
    Pop
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  9. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this discussion could go on for ever but the truth of the matter is if you ask any ammuntion manufacturer if they consider the 32 Colt (long or short) the same as the 32 S&W Long/32 Colt New Police the answer will be no. as i stated earlier the 32 Colt New Police and the 32 S&W Long are basically the same cartridge (the 32 Colt New Police uses a flat nosed bullet and the 32 S&W Long used a round nose bullet. also as i stated the 32 Colt (long or short) uses a heeled bullet (that portion that fits into the cartridge case is of a smaller diameter than the part that takes the rifling) the cartridge case of the 32 Colt (long or short) is of a smaller diameter than the 32 S&W Long/32 Colt New Police. i have first hand knowledge that a 32 Colt (long or short) case will split open when fired in a revolver chambered for the 32 S&W Long/32 Colt New Police. i did fire some in a S&W Model 30 (chambered for the 32 S&W Long/32 Colt New Police) and after two rounds the two split cases locked up the cylinder and disabled the revolver.

now for the 32 ACP in a 32 S&W Long cylinder. ask any gun manufacturer who chambers a revolver for the 32 S&W Long/32 Colt New Police if the firing of a 32 ACP in it will void the warranty and the answer will be YES.

using Mr. Sharpe's information on the 32 revolver rounds i supposed he also considers it ok to use 38 Colt (long or short) in revolvers chambered for the 38 S&W/38 Colt New Police.

bill
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  10. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I don't know what Sharpe would say about the 38 caliber carts. I know what he wrote about the 32 carts & I've used 32 acp ammo without problem for years. Sounds like you have too.

best regards
    Pop
  11. Little Rooster

Just curious, is there much difference in the pressures of a .32 acp and the .32 s&w?
  12. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Yes the 32 S&W is very weak even compared to the long & 32acp which run about 15k psi for factory loads. I havn't seen pressures for the 32 S&W but they must be low. You'll be disapointed if you shoot them. You can actually see the bullet in-flight. :)
  13. Little Rooster

I have both but have never tried the .32 acp in my revolver. The .32 s&w is weak, yes but in my paticular revolver is very accurate to 7 yards. Where I cannot always say that about my "bottom feeder". I might experiment with the revolver
  14. aapk

aapk New Member

I have a 732 that shoots the s&w long. Which bullet would be best for this gun? I found a 32 s&w long 85 gr. jacketed hollow pt., 98 gr. LRN or 98 gr. lead wadcutter? I think I prefer the hollow pt., if this bullet is ok for this gun, but I read a post somewhere that a hollow pt. bullet with this caliber was a waste of time. Any information appreciated.
  15. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

All depends on what you want to do; for target practice, stick with the wadcutters. If you want it for a back up gun, go with the JHP's. Get some of everything and shoot it up at the range and see what the gun likes too.
  16. aapk

aapk New Member

Thanks, I think I will buy one box of hollow pt. for the house and a box of wadcutters to play with.
  17. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Well, .32 S&W runs about 13k psi. .32 S&W Long goes 15k, and .32 ACP runs 20,500.

The 732 should be OK, but in a weak revolver, that 5500/7500 pounds per square in difference could be pretty important. In effect every firing of a .32 ACP from a .32 S&W or .32 S&W Long revolver is a proof load and suggesting it is the same is simply wrong and somewhat irresponsible. If you have a gun chambered for those revolver rounds and don't think it has enough power, buy a new gun, don't try to use the wrong ammunition in an old gun.

Jim
  18. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Sage advice from Jim K.
  19. jcboswell6

jcboswell6 New Member

I have a H & R .32 6 shot Revolver with a 3 1/4 " barrel. Serial # F 38461 ( See ********* Auction # 321126479 ). I have been asked if it is safe to use modern ammo with it or should ONLY Black Powder ammo be used ? Unlike one that I have that has stamped on the left side of barrel " AUTO EJECTING 32 S. & W. CTGE. " this one has nothing stamped on the left side of barrel. What do you advise ? ( See photo's I have posted in my album )
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012