.32 caliber H&R revolver

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by shooter79, Apr 4, 2009.

1. shooter79

shooter79 New Member

I was recently given an H&R "the American" .32 caliber double action revolver by my step father. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of .32 ammo this pistol uses and if it is still available. Also the nickel finish is pretty well worn and i was wondering if it is possible to have it refinished nickel or even blued to restore it? All parts are there and the lockup and action seem to be in good working condition. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Welcome to the form! :)
    I have the same revolver, serial # 3959, in .38 S&W. It is the first model, third variation that has the name and address on the left side of the barrel, but not the Cal. markings. My H&R was designed for black powder only.
    The .32 S&W round is a small under-powered cartridge designed for pocket revolvers such as these. How is your revolver marked? Does it have a round or hex barrel? These questions need to be addressed before a determination can be made as to whether your revolver was designed for smokeless powder.
    As far as refinishing your revolver, I personally would not. These utility type guns were used and abused, and IMHO, a bright and shiny one would look out of place.
    Old Gun Guy
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

with the information given all that i can furnish is general information about the american double action and its two models and several variations..

AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION FIRST MODEL
    (BLACK POWDER MODEL):------------------------- 1884-1904
    32 S&W (also 32 H&R) caliber 6 shot, 38 S&W caliber 5 shot, 44 Webley caliber 5 shot, pull pin cylinder release, barrel length 2½, 4½ & 6 inches nickel finish standard, blue considered rare Marked on top strap “AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION”,
    first variation will have a round barrel & nickel trigger guard-----------1884-1887
    second variation will have a octagon barrel & nickel trigger guard------1888-1897
    third variation will have a octagon barrel , blue trigger guard and company name and address on left side of barrel--------------1898-1904
    value 100%=$225 60%=$95, 1st Variation rarely seen, add 50% premium., for all American Double Actions variations and variants: add 15% premium for blue finish, add 10% premium for 4 ½ “ or 6” barrel, add 5%-10% premium for nickel trigger guard (pre 1898)

BULLDOG FIRST MODEL LARGE FRAME (Rimfire Calibers)--------1888-1904
    32 Rimfire 6 shot, 38 Rimfire 5 shot (Variation of American Double Action First Model Marked on top strap “H&R BULL DOG”
    100%=$235 60%=$95

SAFETY HAMMER DOUBLE ACTION FIRST MODEL------------1888-1904
    Same as American Double Action First Model except has patented Spurless Hammer, patent date will be marked on Hammer Marked on top strap “SAFETY HAMMER DOUBLE ACTION”
    100%=$235 60%=$95

AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION SECOND MODEL
    (SMOKELESS POWDER) --------------------------------------1905-1941
    32 S&W or 32 S&W Long caliber 6 shot, 38 S&W caliber 5 shot, 44 caliber 5 shot, pull pin cylinder release, calibers and barrel lengths are the same as first model, 44 Webley caliber discontinued in 1921, nickel finish, blue optional. Difference between First Model and Second Model is the caliber Markings on the left side of the barrel
    After 1930 this model was listed in catalogs as; AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION No. 60 .32 Caliber 6 shot or AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION No. 65 .38 Caliber 5 shot
    100%=$225 60%= $75 For all American Double Action Second Models add 15% premium for blue finish and 10% for 4 ½” or 6” barrel

BULLDOG SECOND MODEL LARGE FRAME -------------------------1905-1923
    32 Rimfire 6 shot, 38 Rimfire 5 shot (Variation of American Double Action Second Model Marked on top strap “H&R BULL DOG”
    VALUE: 100%=$235 6-%=$85

SAFETY HAMMER DOUBLE ACTION SECOND MODEL---------------1904-1940
    Same as American Double Action Second Model except has patented Spurless Hammer, patent date may be marked on hammer, Marked on top strap “SAFETY HAMMER DOUBLE ACTION”
    VALUE: 100%=$235 60%=$75
  4. shooter79

shooter79 New Member

From the info given it sounds like the first model third variation, it has a hexogonal barrel with blued trigger guard. Top strap says The American Double Action and it has company name and address on left side of barrel. Any idea on what ammo?
  5. shooter79

shooter79 New Member

also my revolver does not have caliber markings either. I am assuming it is a .32 because the bore looks too small to be a 38 but def bigger that a 22 caliber
  6. shooter79

shooter79 New Member

the barrel is octogaonal
  7. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

8. shooter79

shooter79 New Member

thank you to all that helped answer my questions.
  9. Bairdtc

Bairdtc New Member

Hi all,
    I recently acquired a second model no.65 32 caliber 5 shot. The only piece missing is the axis pin that holds the cartridge in place.

Any ideas where I could get one??

Also, thanks for the great information above. It really was a huge help.

Thanks!!!
  10. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

most likely you need a cylinder pin also known as a center pin. check any of the used parts suppliers like numrich arms are bob's gun parts. this part also show up quite often on the on-line auction sites.
    bill
  11. MichaelGoodfellow

MichaelGoodfellow New Member

Hi there, thanks for this forum.
    Am looking for a year of manufacture for an H&R .32-cal top break revolver, S/N 20561.
    It has no markings on the barrel or the top rib.

Am thinking it's a black-powder, pre 1905, but need clarification.

Thanks in advance.
  12. MichaelGoodfellow

MichaelGoodfellow New Member

Hi there, thanks for this forum.
    Am looking for a year of manufacture for an H&R .32-cal top break revolver, S/N 20561.
    It has no markings on the barrel or the top rib.

Am thinking it's a black-powder, pre 1905, but need clarification.

Thanks in advance.
  13. lorencc

lorencc New Member

Turns out I have one too... I doesn't match any of the others in this thread, so perhaps someone can help me ID it...

Nickel plated, a bit nicked from use but plating still pretty much ok.

6 shots, .32 cal (cylinder holes measure .33"), short cylinder.

Stamped into the top of the 3-1/4" barrel is "HARRINGTON&RICHARDSON, WORCESTER,MASS.U.S.A." all in one line.

No other markings on the outside.

Serial # 4027 stamped on frame under grips and on underside of top above cylinder.

Dry fires just fine. Never shot it and was strongly advised not to.

My grandfather got it from a Pinkerton railway cop.