32 H&R mag/Guns?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by thickstrings, Jul 7, 2008.

1. thickstrings

thickstrings New Member

Hi, I have been liking to get some type of 32 mag revolver....I can't pay for the older S&W 16's ect..and I don't want a single action...I also don't want the small ultra light frame models...so, beside the sp101 what else is there? It seems to me that there was a full sized Taurus, and if I'm not mistaken a Dan Wesson Does any one have a model # or have any insight....6" barrel would be nice..........thanks, strings
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

wait til about feb 2009, the newfangled 327 federal magnum will be chambered in just about every imaginable configuration, probably even a smith mod. 629 plus with an 8 shot cylinder, instead of a 7 like the .357 mag version. and just like .38s in a .357, you will be able to fire .32 H&Rs in your .327 mag...
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

The SP101 even being a small-frame revolver is still a pretty beefy unit in .32H&R (or the new .327). There's lots of steel left in the barrel and cylinder compared to the 38/357 SP101s.
    I used to have a 4" .32H&R SP101 (and am still kicking myself for selling it!) and it was a superb small-game pistol. I wish they would bring out a 4" tube version of the .327 so I could replace my beloved little .32H&R! I might have to settle for a 3" instead...

Taurus did chamber their mid-size frame(Model 66 family) in .32H&R but I can't think of the model name anymore. IIRC, it was 4" only...no 6" tubes for that caliber. I think they also had a small-frame .32H&R at one time too.

As JLA posted, stick it out and keep shopping for a while. If the .327Mag does catch on I'm pretty sure we'll see more models chambered for it.

I think 6" would be a bit on the big side for a .32. My opinion is it would be pretty clumsy handling for the caliber but if you've got a specific purpose for a 6" that's cool too.
    I really liked that 4" SP101, it was enough sight radius for good small-game accuracy and handled great in the brush.
  4. Dale53

Dale53 New Member

I have several .32 Handguns:
    S&W 631 (4") .32 H&R Magnum
    S&W 16-4 (6") .32 H&R Magnum
    Ruger SP101 (4"0) .32 Magnum
    TC - .32 H&R Magnum (with 10" SSK barrel with proper bore dimensions for 313"-314" bullets)

I have used all of them in the field with excellent results. The 16-4 is an excellent revolver - it's rather large size comes in handy after the game is spotted. It carries well in a Bianchi Hush System cross the chest holster. The smaller revolvers carry so well in a holster you hardly know that they are there until you need them. The TC has been used for Hunter Silhouette and also dedicated squirrel hunting where legal. It can also be carried in a "cross chest" holster system for all day comfort.

It all depends on your wants and desires...

Here is one of my better targets with the S&W 16-4 with Red Dot - 25 yards, standing (no support):

[​IMG]

My most used load is 2.8 grs of win 231 behind a 100 gr Keith bullet in S&W Long cases. This does most of what I'll need most times "woods loafing". It is an excellent target and edible small game load. Of course, that same bullet in .32 H&R Magnum cases ahead of 10.0 H110 works much better if you run into a coyote, a ground hog, or a fox. This gives 1100 fps in the 6" barrel of the 16-4.

Frankly, for most of my use (target shooting and edible small game) the .32 S&W Long works just fine WITH PROPER BULLETS.

Dale53
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2008