32 h&r revolver break top

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Arj32, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Arj32

Arj32 New Member

Hi I am new to here and I was given from my grandfather a H&R break top revolver. Erode he passed away 3 years ago but I have no idea which revolver it is not the date it was made if its black or smokeless powder it did have a box of ammo with it which where s&w 32 I did a little research and I have the searial number from the under the latch which is 09s296 it's a small frame 5 shot double action I will post pics as soon as I can to help So if anyone can help it would be great thank you
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Arj32,
    Sounds like a PREMIER small frame Auto ejector. I'm anxiously awaiting your pictures to complete the ID.
  3. Arj32

Arj32 New Member

here is pics and a correction to the serial number 096296 with the chamber matching number 296

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  4. Arj32

Arj32 New Member

and also both sids of the pistol are the same no marking other then whats in the pics ive posted
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Arj32,
    You have a 1st Model PREMIER 2nd Variation - variation ID from the assortment of PATENT dates on the barrel rib, with an 'O' prefix to the serial number it was made between 1898 and 1900, therefore it is BLACK POWDER capable only, as defined by H&R ARMS Co.
    The serial is around the middle range of the examples I've seen, so figure the year of manufacture at around 1899. It appears to have a 4" barrel which is non-standard and adds some value to a collector.
    The ammo in the box is from a much later date and contains smokeless/Nitro powder charges. Occasional shooting of these cartridges may or may not cause damage to your gun - but a steady diet will most likely begin to stretch the frame and weaken the barrel to frame lock-up.
    It is a nice heritage item - IMHO, retire it and enjoy the family history this gun represents.

IMG_1930_2.jpg
  6. Arj32

Arj32 New Member

O wow that's awesome I've looked everywhere to try and date this thing and I thank you for your time Jim hauff that was very helpful and yes it's a 4 inche barrel so what do you think it would be worth from an experts stand point I don't wanna sell it being my grandfather was given this by his father and so on till it got here I have shot it once and was very scared to the point I got a ballistic shield not know what would happen even tho it was looked over by a gun smith but was nice to put one round thru it but I have a nice wall mount and 50 shells with the primers taken out and empty of all powder
  7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Arj32,
    You're welcome, glad to help out (you came to the right place for info) - and thanks for thanking.
    RETAIL value of your gun would be around $200 +/-, depending upon the market in your area.