1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

.32 I.N.A.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by W Lambert, Jan 28, 2006.

1. W Lambert

W Lambert New Member

I have a .32 caliber revolver made in Brazil by Industria Nacional de Armas (I.N.A.). The markings do not indicate whether it is a .32 S&W, .32 Long Colt, etc. Both S&W and LC rounds fit the cylinder but my understanding is that the calibers are not compatible. How can I determine which it is. I cannot find any history on the gun whatsoever. The revolver has a tiger etched on one side. On the barrel it says .32 I.N.A.
  2. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

INA
    INDUSTRIA NACIONAL DE ARMAS
    SAO PAULO BRAZIL
    (the state owned ordnance factory that later became / developed into IMBEL - INDUSTRIA DO MATERIEL BELICO DE BRASIL, FABRICA ITAJUBA BRAZIL)

"... a small quantity of very well made and well finished .32 S&W LONG double action solid frame ordnance steel constructed revolvers manufactured in the 1960`s. issued to BRAZILIAN AIR FORCE OFFICERS and BRAZILIAN POLICE DETECTIVES these swing out cylinder 6-shot revolvers followed the S&W pattern. features: 2" BBL, cocobola checkered wood grips with inset brass "INA" meddalions, fixed combat sights, engraved "pouncing jaguar" on left of frame, case hardened trigger and hammer, high grade commercial blue finish. these guns are rarely encountered outside of BRAZIL."

also produced a commercial / for export model in the 70`s-early 80`s in several calibers mainly made for the AMERICAN market...

the early guns were of higher quality and finish and command $150-250...

the later commercial export guns were of average finish and quality, mass produced, and command $50-$100...

i own and carry the top listed gun.

pics would let me determine approximate date of production.

best regards, mike.
  3. W Lambert

W Lambert New Member

Here is a picture of the INA revolver. It seems to fit the description you sent. Any additional info would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

• INA.jpg
      INA.jpg
      File size:
      38.8 KB
      Views:
  4. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

thats the gun i own, and carry...

and its the well described gun listed above (the top / 1st gun)...

shoots point of aim out to 12 yds, with good groups...

there is no forcing cone, so it is prone to shaving lead if the timing is not perfect...

the load of choice is soft lead semi waddcutters (good expansion)...

i have had +P hollowpoints custom loaded...

superb gun...

often encountered with a black leather clip / loop holster marked "E.D.eMAYO & SONS N.Y. MFG`S."...

great back-up piece...

best regards, mike.
  5. deanos74

deanos74 New Member

hi i have the same gun and i cant figuire out to buy short or long there is no markings on the gun to tell what to buy??? any info would be greatly appreciated.....
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

32 Colt is 0.318 inches in diameter, and shoots a .302 bullet. 32 S&W is 0.337 inches in diameter, and shoots a .313 bullet. A 32 Colt will fit in a 32 S&W chamber, but when it is fired it will swell greatly. The cartridge case might rupture. If you reload, and the case did not rupture, you will probably only get one reload out of it, as the sizing it back down that much, and then swelling greatly upon the next firing will probably rupture it that time.

32 S&W will not chamber in a 32 Colt gun. Just too big around. The gun is MOST LIKELY 32 S&W Long, as 32 Colt, 32 Long Colt and 32 S&W (sometimes called 32 S&W Short) are obsolete cartridges. Guns have not been chambered in them for more than 50 years.

The best way to tell the caliber is to take your gun to the gun shop, explain your problem to the guy behind the counter, and ask to see if 32 S&W Long will chamber in your gun. If it will, that is what it was made for. If it is too large in diameter to fit in the chamber, then the gun is 32 Colt.

If you don't want to do that, you could take a set of calipers and measure the chamber diameter. If it is .320 to .325, it's a 32 Colt. If it's .340 to .345, it's a 32 S&W. Either way, it will be the long cartridge, not the short. The short, however, will work if the long is not available.
  7. deanos74

deanos74 New Member

8. deanos74

deanos74 New Member

today i took the little .32 I.N.A. revolver to a gunsmith and he measured everything, and after his evaluation.. he determined that it takes .32 s&w long....on the box is 32swlb a box of shells costed $21.95 and i have shot the gun with this ammunition and it shoots great no problem.......
  9. hot-shot

hot-shot New Member

I own the exact weapon you described, but mine has a 2 1/2 " barrel as opposed to the 2" you mentioned.
    Can't find out anything about it. Can you help?
    Thanks
  10. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Hot Shot, it would have been better to post a new inquiry rather than tack onto an old. Above is about all the information you are are going to find on these South American guns. I will add that INA firearms are not thought of very highly in Brazil and are considered " cheap guns" , even the Air Force issued ones. The issuance of these firearms to the Brazilian Air Force caused a minor scandal at the time because of the claims of " pay backs" on a inferior product. I know that one of the gun books ( I believe '"Hand guns of the world" ) states that these were well constructed. However, they are not in fact, considered a quality firearm by the Brazilians.
  11. hot-shot

hot-shot New Member

Thanks Rjay, I took your advice & posted a new thread already B4 I read your post. Thanks for the Advice, I need all I can get. [I'M A Nubee]
    Ken
  12. TomMcL

TomMcL New Member

Hello MrMike,
    I have this .32 I.N.A. made in Brazil and need a hammer...this one has been cut off. Any suggestions for parts.
    Thanks,
    Tom
  13. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Couple of points, Tom:

First, welcome to the forum!

Second, MRMIKE has not posted since November 2010, as near as I can tell, so a reply from him is unlikely.

For thirds, I could do no better than to quote RJay's post above:

[Tom], it would have been better to post a new inquiry rather than tack onto an old. Above is about all the information you are are going to find on these South American guns. I will add that INA firearms are not thought of very highly in Brazil and are considered " cheap guns" , even the Air Force issued ones. The issuance of these firearms to the Brazilian Air Force caused a minor scandal at the time because of the claims of " pay backs" on a inferior product. I know that one of the gun books ( I believe '"Hand guns of the world" ) states that these were well constructed. However, they are not in fact, considered a quality firearm by the Brazilians.

And finally, the standard advice when looking for parts is to check Numrich first (http://www.gunpartscorp.com/). They have the single largest selection.

Hope this helps!
  14. 10sport64

10sport64 New Member

Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I was born and raised in Brazil. I grew up shooting guns from Taurus, Rossi, Beretta and Ina. When I served the Brazilian Air Force, we had HK-33 in 5.56 a rifle and Beretta and Taurus 92 as sidearms. I held and shot the INA as a civilian and can tell you it was a well crafted gun. It required little maintenance and the blueing was just amazing. On pair with the best american revolvers.. Sootch00 made a video on a 38 cal. version of this gun.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014