The Firearms Forum banner

.32 Iver Johnson Saftey Hammer 1rst model

2K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  marcus58 
#1 ·
Hello,
I was fortunate to find this excellent revolver. The serial number is A33939. This is stamped on the butt. It has a single post release so I believe it is a first model, pre 1898. However, I have been told that first models had the serial number on the barrel ridge. Does anyone have information regarding this revolver. Everything else is correct, such as the owl facing the barrel. Thank you.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
this is a first model manufactured in 1896. places the serial number were located on the first model vary with year of manufacture. two locations that never changed were upper side of trigger guard (the trigger guard must be removed form frame to see) and bottom of top strap. the changeable locations on the small frame 32 S&W caliber were;
1894=left side of grip strap with out a letter code
1895=bottom of butt strap with out a letter code
1896=bottom of butt strap with letter code A (1897 and after always on the left side of the grip strap with different letter codes)

FIRST MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
(Black Powder Cartridges)---------------------------1894-1896
LARGE & SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES THE FAMOUS HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION This is the first revolver marked “Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works”, some very early model were marked “Iver Johnson & Co.”. It is a top break revolver with a single top post barrel latch, it was manufactured in two frame sizes and three calibers, standard finish was Nickel with blue being optional. Grip panels are hard rubber with Owls head design. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire & .32 centerfire, Large frame .38 centerfire; Cylinder capacity: small frame .22 7 rounds & .32 5 rounds, Large frame 5 rounds; Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3¼ inches; Weight: small frame 3 inch barrel .22 rimfire 12 ounces, .32 centerfire 12¼ ounces large frame 3¼ inch barrel 17¼ ounces; Height: small frame 3¾ inches, large frame 3`7/8 inches; frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; overall length small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inch. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame; grips must be removed to see. . The First Model features a single top post barrel latch (release lever mounted on left side of top strap) and flat leaf hammer spring.
VALUE: 100%=$290, 80%=$140, 60%=$110, 40%=$90, 20%=$70, 10%=$60

bill

#4 ·
after looking at this picture some more i question as to weather this is the original box for this gun. the cylinder removal is different on an 1896 production that the one this box shows. also how is the top of the barrel marked. note the company name at the bottom of the label. i believe this is for a first model made in 1894 not one made in 1896.

bill

#6 · (Edited)
the name change to "& cycle works" came in the summer of 1894. the name on the box label is just "iver johnson arms". this name was used between 1883 and the summer of 1894. the pictured illustration shows a push button of the left side of the top strap which was for a early cylinder retainer only used for about 6 months in 1894. the instruction printed on the box for cylinder removable will be different for this as compared to the threaded cylinder bushing used between summer of 1894 until about 1910.

before any body says it is a left over box i need to state the box may be left over but the printed illustration operation manual glued to the top is specific to what ever method used. read the instruction label carefully to see if the method described to remove the cylinder is the same as the method used for the revolver. if they are different then this is not the correct box. on the other hand if they are the same then it is and i am sorry for bringing this up.

bill

#7 · (Edited)
I checked the intructions and they call for removing the cylinder by pressing a button over the cylinder. The cylinder on my gun unscrews. However, businessmen being who they are, do you suppose that when this change was made that someone decided to use up the old boxes? I have reason to believe that this box was always with the gun. I don't care one way or another. It's still a cool display piece. Normally I'm not interested in pocket guns. This one caught my eye because it is in the best condition I have ever seen. I shot it once with some low power smokless loads. I cleaned it well and put it away. It has been on the wall since then. I found an old box of .32 S&W and put the it all in a shadow box.

#8 ·
the problem of an older box and newer pistol would have been fixed two ways. one a new label or two a seperate piece of paper telling about the new instructions. with this extra piece of paper not being present this revolver and box will alway be suppect. but as long as you are happy that all that counts.

of course if you ever decide to sell it you should point out the differences between the box and the revolver.
bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.