.32 Rimfire

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Billbeauw, May 25, 2008.

1. Billbeauw

Billbeauw New Member

I have a .32 rimfire rifle. It was made around 1900. I need to know how I can find out if it is a .32 long or short. I do not want to ship it off or leave it with someone I do not know. How can I find out the size here at home?:confused:
  2. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

If you know of a gun dealer or gunsmith around your area, you could take it to them and they could tell you.

PS: There, at least to my knowledge, isn't a rim fire .32, but rather a rimmed center fire .32.
  3. Billbeauw

Billbeauw New Member

Remington said it was a rimfire .32, but could not tell me if it was a long or short. They were shocked that the rifle was still in good firing condition. I e-mailed them a pic.
  4. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Well, still, you probably should take it to a smith or dealer and let them try to to find out whether it's a long or short .32.

A 1900 rifle may not be safe to use modern ammo, though. Particularly if it still used BP cartridges.
  5. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

All of the .32 rimfire Remington rifles I have seen were chambered for .32 RF Long. Short was more often used in handguns.

Navy Arms imported some of this ammo about 15 to 20 years ago. Now and then a box can be found at a gunshow.

Dixie Gunworks has reuseable brass cases which are primed with a off-center .22 blank (the blank must be under the firing pin for this thing to work). It is loaded with black powder and a ball.

Best regards,

Greg
  6. magusjinx

magusjinx New Member