32 S&W Long Safty Automatic

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Ron Legros, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Ron Legros

Ron Legros Member

Bill,
    This one has me stumped. I believe it's a special order 3rd Model, but the bottom of the Butt Strap is stamped, PAT. JUNE16,96,AUG 2nd line is SEPT. 6,04-PATS P. It is drilled and taped for a walnut grip so everything after AUG. on the first line and after P on the second line is missing.
    It is chambered for 32 S&W Long, 6"barrel, blue finnish and the serial number under the top strap and under the trigger guard is 51580. The left side if the grip panel is stamped G51580. It also has a set of over size walnut grips of the saw handle configuration which are checkered like those used on the 22 Supershot.
    I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this one.
    Thanks,
    Ron
  2. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

3rd Model What???
    I think a picture may be in order..........
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

deadin - it's an IJ
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

these three patent dates were used together between 1908 and 1911. if the caliber is correct, 6 shot 32 long, the letter code should be be C. if it is a 5 shot 32 the letter code should be a G (used between 1915 and 1926) but that doesn't match the patent dates on the butt. how about pictures?

the "western walnut" grips used on the early third models are like the 22 supershot (saw handle) not the rounded shape as used on the 22 supershot sealed eight. so the grips are correct but these early model that were special order did not have letter codes. but anything is possible. pictures of these grips can be found on page 75 (22 supershot) and 77 (22 supershot sealed eight) of my book.

this is another one that is going to be hard to date with out picutes especially of the grip frame serial number.
    bill
  5. Ron Legros

Ron Legros Member

Thanks Bill,

I checked the serial number on the grip strap again, this time with a magnifying glass and it must be a C. It's not struck to well but I have to agree with you that's what it has to be. The gun is a six shot large frame,
    and I'm sure it's 32 S&W Long.
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Ron
  6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

ron,
    large frame third model 32 S&W caliber (6shot) serial number C 51580 was manufactured in 1911. it has been my experence that third models this early were usually considered special order models and had speical order numbers (no letter code). but as someone pointed out once there are exceptions to every rule. what is the shape of these grips saw handle or rounded at rhe top?

THIRD MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
    (Smokeless Powder Cartridges)------------------------1909-1941
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION; Double top post barrel latch, with Hammer the Hammer action, nickel finish standard blue optional. Two frame sizes, four calibers, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top, two piece oversize hard rubber and one piece wood grips optional. Redesigned for smokeless powder. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 Special with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame .22 rimfire with 3 inch barrel 12 ½ ounces, .32 centerfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ounces, large frame .32 Special with 3 ¼ inch barrel 18 ¼ ounces, .38 centerfire with 3 ¼ inch barrel 18 ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Third Model features a double top post barrel latch, coil hammer spring and four cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$260 60%=$125
  7. Ron Legros

Ron Legros Member

Bill,
    The grips are saw handle just like those on the early Supershot 7 & 9 shot models including the diamond pattern checkering on the back of the grip.
    It is just different enough that I had to add it to the collection.
    Thanks again for clearing up the questions I had.

Ron