.32 S&W short

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by belercous, Jan 21, 2010.

1. belercous

belercous Former Guest

I have noticed that Magtech is now selling .32 S&W short ammo. It is loaded to SAAMI specs. I was wondering if it would be alright to fire this ammo in my old revolvers chambered in this caliber.
    My pistols are: an Iver-Johnson model 1900, a S&W D/A top break, 4th model, and an Illinois Arms (Friedrich Richert) hammerless pocket gun.
    I do not handload nor know anyone who does in this caliber so that is not an option for me. Thank you for your assistance in this matter.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I dont see why not. If SAAMI put their stamp of approval on it they trust it to fired in anything in good working order chambered in that caliber. SAAMI doesnt play around with possible catasrophes, thats why they mandate 3 loading categories for the .45/70, all with redundant disclaimers and warnings. godd luck with your pistols;)
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I agree with JLA. Give it a try in your best revolver.

The .32 Short is about the wimpiest round made. When shot in the sunlight you can sometimes watch the bullet going downrange.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If your guns were made to be shot with smokeless powder, then, sure, shoot it.

If your guns are black powder vintage guns, you're asking for trouble. I don't think they will turn into hand grenades while you hold it, but the frames will stretch. The pressure curve between black and smokeless are completely different. Iron-framed black powder guns will not stand up under smokeless.