32 Savage... Had it, sold it, bought it back

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Rugermanws, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

2. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

I bought this over 15 years ago from a co worker's mother. I sold it 5 years ago for the money and now it's back. I always knew who had it so I made an offer and now it's mine again. It's not going anywhere anymore, mine till I die!
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Nice looking Savage Pistol.
    I've done the same thing in the past for one reason or another. And to this day, I'm
    still kicking myself over a new 10/22 stainless, laminated grey stock that I let go and have
    never seen again.
    I'm glad you got your .32 back Rugermanws!
  4. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

Zane I've done it with others as well. Colt 22 Diamondback, Ruger 357 3 screw, Colt 45 Goldcup 70 series, etc. I tell all my friends that if they sell it they'll want it back later down the road, we all make these mistakes.
  5. Captain Jack

Captain Jack New Member

YES We do , Ive done it aswell
  6. noslolo

noslolo New Member

I did it, a couple of years back with the first handgun I ever bought. Nothing special, but I still miss it. A Firestar M-40. It was a tank, but it always made me feel safe.
  7. GatorDude

GatorDude New Member

Nice pistol. It's tough to turn loose of any pistol ...especially interesting ones with some history. Cool that you got it back! :)
  8. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Ditto, sold an SKS that I've kicked myself everyday since
  9. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

If that is the original finish, it's in terrific shape. And it appears to have the early type of rear sight.

I've sold guns I wish I could buy back. I had a Colt Police Positive 4th Issue that was a terrific shooter. I got nickels and dimes for it because "It's only a 38 and everyone wants 357s". You can't get them now for love or money. Live and learn, I guess.
  10. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

The finish is this clean. The lady that I bought it from 15 years ago kept it under her pillow at night. Very slight holster wear at the muzzle, you can't see it in the picrture but you'd have to look for it if I handled you the pistol. I'm trying to research the build date but it's not as easy as I thought it would be. I'm thinking 1915 or 1917, it's marked patent date 1905 on the barrel.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  11. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Donald Simmons wrote an excellent article about the Savage 1907 for Gun Digest back in the 1970s or 80s. I'll try to find out which year exactly. And there is an excellent book by a guy named Bailey Brower called "Savage Pistols" - any big internet book dealer should have it for about $25. It's a bargain.

Savage used to do factory letters for these pistols, with date of manufacture and who it was invoiced to, but I don't know if they still do.

One piece of advice: Never take the grips off. As Jim K explained to me, John Browning got a patent that included the idea of an automatic pistol with grips attached with screws. (I am still flabbergasted by that.) As a result, for 17 years, American pistol designers had to come up with wacky work-arounds for attaching grips. Your Savage relies on the modest natural flexibility that hard rubber has when it is new. At 100 years old, I wouldn't count on that any more. Just my $.02.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  12. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

Thanks for your help. I don't plan on shooting this gun but I appreciated the condition and the age of it. I see them for sale on gun sites but none look anywhere as nice as this one does. Thanks again.