.32 win special

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bowhntr26, Feb 20, 2011.

1. bowhntr26

bowhntr26 New Member

does anyone have any load data for the 32 win special i have speer hot-cor 170 gr bullets

Thanks
    Jim
  2. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    35 gr of 4320 will put you in the 2000 fps range. go up or down a tenth of a grain at a time to find the sweet load your gun shoots the most accurate. Do not go over 37 grains, I don't even like going over 36 grains. Its a short range round, (50-150 yards and you flat out don't need anything heavier than that.
  3. muddober

muddober Active Member

Jim, you would be very safe to use any 30-30 loading data using a 170 grain bullet. Any 30-30 loading using a bullet weight of a like loading for the 32 Special will be at a higher pressure than if used in the 32. The reason of which is the larger diameter of the 32 lessons pressure.

Ron
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

bowhntr26:

BUY A RELOADING MANUAL!

All the data you need is in manuals like the Lyman, Hornady, Speed, Sierra, Hodgdon manuals or go to the Hodgdon on-line manual. NEVER use data off the internet unless you verify it to be a published load from a manufacturer's reloading manual or the manufacturer's web site.

Here's the link to the Hodgdon on-line manual. Start at the starting load (usually 10% below the Max Load) and work the load up watching for signs of over pressure but never exceed the listed max load level.

SAFETY FIRST!

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

LDBennett
  5. muddober

muddober Active Member

My reasoning for suggesting the use of 30-30 data is that I don't even own any new reloading manuals and I wasn't sure they would include the 32 Winchester Special. I check the site LD provided and sure enough the 30-30 data is 5 to 10 percent less than what little 32 special data is provided, meaning my suggestion that any 30-30 data of the same bullet weight would be safe is 100% correct.

Ron
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

muddober:

I was not questioning your data but the whole concept of collecting data from other shooters off the internet or by word of mouth. Only published data, either in manuals or on manufactures' web pages should ever be used or suggested by us. While it seems friendly to share data it is not safe for the new user or for you (think law suit). What works fine in your gun may not in some one else's gun, perhaps with devastating result where gun and/or people are hurt and the lawyer comes looking for you.

Also while we may feel confident in using data from another cartridge we should not suggest it to others. I have personal experience doing that and through dumb luck the semi-auto gun was not hurt and only the primers were blown from the cases to fall harmlessly to the range floor. Use the right data.

LDBennett
  7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

The Hornady manual has data for the .32 Special, as does the Speer manual.
    For IMR4320, 35.5 is Speer's listed max.

I agree with LD, get either the Speer or Hornady manual for published data.
  8. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I agree that a manual is needed & as much as I respect my fellow re-loaders here on the net I don't trust much that I can't see in a manual. I have seen written in more than one manual that 30-30 info can be safely traded over to the 32 win special owing to the larger caliber , as Muddobber points out, & also that the 32 has a slower twist rate. The two calibers share the same case & the same pressure limit. The 32 win spec ends up using more powder than the 30-30 for these reasons.
    As an example, in the Speer manual the IMR 4895 load for the 30-30 for a 170 grain jacketed bullet runs from 25-29 grains at max. The 32 win spec with a 170 runs 33-35 grains max.
    Speer has described that their "start" loads are determined when a load reliably expands the case mouth preventing gas blow-by that may prove nasty to the shooter. Probably good to use the manuals start load to avoid any ill wind.
    Speer has a good explanation of why there even is a 32 win special & that's that there was only one other 30 caliber cartridge in existance back then & it was the three year ol 30-40 krag. Folks were accustomed to 32 cals such as the 32-40. It was reasoned the 30-30 wasn't good for re-loading because only black powder was available-smokeless was only sold as loaded ammo- & with the 1-12 twist of the 30-30 fouling was bad. The 32 win special was made with 1-16 twist that worked well with black powder.