325 WSM AR-10

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Zhurh, May 1, 2010.

1. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Anybody seen any of these? I always was under the impression that 308, 338 fed was about the limit for the AR-10. I noticed a company called accuracy systems had one that was up near 3 gran, kinda high though. Maybe other manufacturers will bring some models out at a reasonable price.

I have a couple mini 14s and 3 ARs all in 223. We use them for caribou and hunting off snowmachine. Kicking around getting a 6.8, 308, or 338 fed but would rather get something faster with a 180 grain. That 325 WSM flys.

Funny thing, we were road hunting for moose right before dusk last fall. This small bull (40 inch) stepped out at edge of road, 50 yards away. It was so close to dark, I couldn't see his horns (weren't bright white yet). My buddy threw up his 325 on door, and could see horns through leupold; blasted him and this moose just stood there. He hit him again and this young bull went down.

Anyway, a few friends have bought them 325 WSMs of late and I have been wanting to get one other than an Accumark; maybe on A-10 platform if I can. Put a good low light scope on it, would be the ticket. Any Ideas????
  2. Airdale

Airdale Member

3. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

We have a preban Colt, bought in 80's for $440 and 2 stagg arms 223s. The stagg arms are smooth; wish they made something bigger than 6.8; but they told me no plans for anything heavier.

I'm kinda nervous about buying AR's with so many manufacturers out there. The shop where I bought Staggs, owner hates DPMS; likes LWRC's, sells the crap outta Staggs; probably money ect like everybody else. I now like the Staggs too since I've owned a couple. I think LWRC makes a 308, but they are high priced.

I've seen those new Remingtons on TV; nice camo look. I think they make a 450 bushmaster (1100 bucks I think); figure that would be good for moose crossing road at dusk and bear protection; but something that reached out a little further sure would be nice.

We really like the 15's for winter hunting off snowmachines, chasin wolves on open lakes; circlin caribou, ect. Have them in the boat on river, but not too good over 250 yards, need something faster/heavier. We often see wolves looking for dead fish; but hard to get close to them and you rarely get more than one shot off before they are off in the brush. It's awful tough shooting from a boat anyway.

Keep looking for what I want. They will probably have a bunch of models out within a few years. I'll spend 1200 on a new AR_15; but wait for the 800 dollar Weatherby deals for most other guns.