.327 Federal Magnum. Think it will stay or go?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by rglbegl, Mar 26, 2010.

?

Is the .327 Fed Mag gonna last?

Poll closed Mar 30, 2010.
  1. Yes. It is a viable round that will be made for many many years

52.2%
  2. No. It will fade away quickly.

30.4%
  3. Buy a box of it now, cuz it will be a collectors iem soon

13.0%
  4. It is so cool, I am must have a new revolver

4.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

I have seen a couple threads about this newer cartridge. And now that it has been out for a bit, I thought it was time to ask everyone their opinion on how long this round will last.

Do you think it will stick around, or will it be another round that never makes it to super popular status?
    There have been many new cartridges developed in the last couple decades, some were good, some are pretty much gone already.

So will the .327 Fed Mag make the grade, or is it gonna fade away?

PS - How do I edit the poll?
    My grammar sucks!!!!! I need to make corrections.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  2. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I don't own one or have plans to buy a revolver in that caliber however I feel it will stick. Look at the 32 H&R Mag and how long that caliber has been around. The 327 gives shooters some variety and a powerful handgun with lower recoil.
  3. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    there are calibers out there that have been around for a long time but are not what most of us shoot.i go simply by what is most available and least expensive in dept stores and gun stores.i do reload but i will not be buying a 50 cal ae,454 casull,or a 327 fed mag.even in reloading the brass is hard to come by.i know of a good example.......22 shorts use less brass,less powder etc however they are more expensive because they are not sold as much as 22lr.....thirty eight smith and wessen are more expensive than 38 special.they are all still around but at what cost.i guess in answer to your question, yes they will be around your choice to buy or not old semperfi
  4. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A good question for which I have no answer. (And the old crystal-ball is out of order.)

Doesn't make it bad thing but I haven't had any urge to own a weapon chambered for it. Heck, I don't even know anyone else around here who's found a need for it, wants one or picked one up 'cause they "just had to have one".
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That is an interesting question. I have four pistols in 32 H&R. Got them for the gun, not the caliber. Pair of Ruger Single Sixes, and a pair of Titanium Smith J frames, one with and one without a hammer. Shoot 32 S&W Long out of 'em. If I feel the need for 32 H&R power, I get a bigger gun. I don't see the use for the 327 at all. IF, and that's a big "if", I bought a gun in 327, it would be because I wanted the gun, not for the caliber. And, like my H&Rs, I'd most likely shoot 32 Long out of it.

I think it's an answer in search of a question.
  6. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I voted yes but a lot depends on the type of revolvers it becomes available in. If it is picked up in a SAA clone such as the Ruger Vaquero or US Firearms SAA it may very well be here a long time. It wouldn't hurt if Colt put it out in their SAA line or that Marlin or Rossi put it out in their lever guns.
  7. runswithscissors

runswithscissors New Member

I am thinking it will lose a lot of interest as the 32 h&r has. I mean the h&r mag was also this hot new hip answer for the 32 cal niche, but they stopped making them in the super-single six ruger and others dropped them as well and they really don't fill too much a space between 22 lr, 22mag and 38 special in my opinion. This new 327 federal is a hot shooting caliber, but you still need a very light round to achieve the 1300+ fps and higher-this is a cool concept but I am also thinking, this really doesn't excite me enough to trade in my 357's or even my 38 spec as they both still work and kill stuff splendidly.
    I really like the idea of 8 shot compact revolvers, and the 327 blackhawk is a real fun idea too, but again I already have like 6 357's and a 38 and a 22 mangle-um to fit small game needs and self defense. Maybe this 327 will be made into a marlin 1894 carbine, now that would be a good reason to have it around as a hot stepping varmint carbine with the heavier loads. Maybe.... best regards, Mike
  8. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

Not quite, Runswithscissors.
    I shoot my own reloads, 110gr and chrono at 1,325fps. ME is a nominal 450 and brass is readily available from Freedom Arms. I bought 500.

[​IMG]

I'm a definite fan of this little 6 shot revolver. My reloads are right at the bottom end of .357 data, and it's more powerful than the 38 special or the 9mm.
    My money is that the fan club will continue to grow with this revolver, a single action revolver and a carbine all in this caliber, not to mention it will shoot .32, .32 Long, .32 H&R Magnum and .327 Magnum. Pretty versatile little revolver.

zfk55
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I didn't vote in the poll, I couldn't find a choice that I liked. I believe this cartridge will be around for a while. However, I don't think it will become any more popular than it already is. It seems that those that have purchased it, like it. But, IMHO, it falls into the catagory of "OK it's nice, but do I have a use for it"? I haven't seen one in any of the shops where I spend my money, and I don't know anyone who has one.
  10. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

In the future I see the .327 in the same situation as the .41 magnum and the .500 magnum are today. The .327 will survive, and have its core of loyal users.
  11. EL TORO

EL TORO New Member

I voted yes, viable round with great ballistics, BUT, they have got to get the rounds on the shelves...Ammo is more trouble than it's worth to find right now. S&W had a meeting with ammo companies regarding supply before the announced their 327 J frames, but I still can't find any. The appeal is 357 mag power with 38 power recoil, and it's true.
  12. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

I hear there's a new .32 super magnum coming out that's 8 inches long.....
  13. BIGBOOMER

BIGBOOMER New Member

I didn't vote on this one because I don't want jinx this little cartridge. It seems like a lot of the cartridges I thought would make it, or should make it, have fallen by the wayside.
  14. petesusn

petesusn New Member

Well, the 357 Sig, the 45 GAP and the 10mm are still being sold and they are not common calibers. It remains to be seen what kind of customer base the 327 will have.
  15. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

I have a Ruger SP101 in 327 Fed. Ruger kinda shot themselves and this cartridge in the foot by producing a whole bunch of with incorrectly bored cylinders, causing the cases to stick and stick hard enough you had to push 'em out with a cleaning or squib rod. I know, I had one, and waited nearly 4 mths for Ruger to fix, as did a lot of people. Works nice now, they replaced the barrel, cylinder and crane!

Problem was ,the gun got a lot of bad-mouthing, and few people could shoot the mag rd. This went on until about Oct-Nov of 09, and I think Ruger got their issues resolved. As they were the flagship, and only guns chambered for the rd for quite a while, interest in the cartridge all but disappeared. Bowen is converting S&W s and Ruger Single Sixes with hunting length barrels. Ballistics are sweet and recoil is minimal. I'd love to have one of Bowen's Smiths, and a Single Six to boot. I like the round, I like the SP101,as a SD gun, but I think as a varmint and pest control cartridge, in a longer barreled gun, it would be a blast. Add a short barreled lever action rifle, and it would make a nice set. I don't think there are any lever actions chambered for it ,but they're coming I'd bet.