.327 Magnum

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by delta13soultaker, Dec 29, 2007.

1. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

2. ciwsguy

ciwsguy New Member

Never heard of a .327 magum. Is this a new caliber?
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Yes, it is new--I think I read that it's from Ruger. It is supposed to be comparable balistically to a .357 mag, only in a smaller case. I haven't tried it, but it sure caught my attention, too.
  4. williamd

williamd New Member

Yep, Ruger and Hornady are co-joined on new cartridges so the 'Gotta Haves' will have something new to buy. I will just keep my old 375H&H and 357's! But, then I still shoot a Remington M31 at trap!!
  5. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I don't know that it's balistically comparable to a .357 Mag, but it is interesting. From what I understand, you can shoot .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum, and .327 Magnum in the same gun. It holds 6 rounds, where the .357 SP101 only holds 5. Gunblast.com has a good article on the cartridge. I honestly thought it would be a good gun to replace the much-too-light S&W 642 that my wife has. That 15 oz. gun in .38 kicks like a booger and her 92 lb. 5'0" frame isn't made for that type of recoil. A much heavier SP101 with 4 different load varieties should be a gun easily tunable to her shooting style and recoil comfort level... I might look into one, but definitely not now... :)
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

At one point in time I thought it might be nice to have a 32 caliber handgun. I researched the 32 caliber choices and all were anemic except for the old 32-20. Even the 32H&R Magnum was anemic. In just this last few months Ruger and Hornady introduce the 327 magnum in the spirit of the 357 and 44 Magnums. It has pressures of magnum level and shoots a 115 grain bullet at 1300 FPS and over 430ft-lb of energy, besting 9mm power levels in hand guns. The same load is said to be about 2000 FPS in a carbine length gun.

So it just beats 9mm performance but 32 cal guns are small! So you potentially can get better than 9mm performance in a handy small package. Ruger is pushing it in their small revolver for personal defence. I'd like to see it in a western style small gun. I'll give it some time before I jump on the 327Mag band wagon, waiting for a small framed Bisely or scaled down Colt SAA style gun, or a small version of a Win 92 carbine (??).

See Shooting Times, Feb 2008 for details.

LDBennett
  7. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Nice, shame it's satin stainless. I prefer blued or matte stainless if stainless is all thats available. The revolver's price isn't terrible but out of reach, at the moment.
  8. obxned

obxned New Member

The idea of 6 shots in a five-shot size snubby is great, but this new cartridge needs to prove itself out in the real world before I get too exicted.

Chamber a 6" or longer barreled revolver for it, and you would have a great small game/varmint gun.
  9. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

I just wonder if the recoil will be any different then a .357mag revolver.:)
    http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=5759&return=Y
  10. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I used to have a 4" .32H&R SP101. It was a superb rabbit gun. Sure was hell on the eardrums though...that's why I sold it but I'm still kicking myself for letting it go, especially since Ruger dropped the 4" option.

I don't know if I'd consider one for self-defense though. My 32Mag had a pretty nasty muzzleflash...just about as bad as .357 out of a 4" tube. Would do a good job of killing your night vision after a couple shots. Am guessing the .327 would be about the same.

Mosin,
    The SP is a good heavy pistol for it's size...the full underlug barrel puts a lot of weight out front. In 4", the 32Mag was barely noticable. About like 9mm in a full-size autoloader. Even with the hotter .327 loads, I bet the 3" would be comparable to a .38 snubby recoilwise.

If they bring back the 4" option, I'll really have to fight the urge to buy one.
    I think the 3" model would still make an excellent trail gun though.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  11. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

I was thinking about back packing this summer, after I finish my last semester, up to the Chehaw mountains either in the upper Alabama or Northwestern Georgia and need something better then my FEG AP9 (.380acp). While I doubt I'll come across a bear or a wolf, you'll never know...though I'm more worried about snakes as they are sneaky devils. I do have an old stick I used as a walking stick (if you saw it, you wouldn't believe that I had it for a VERY long time) and I'd use it to move the snake.

I don't want to break my wrist but I also don't want a wussie gun.
  12. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    This round would be fun to try in a K-frame Smith & Wesson.
  13. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I wouldn't write off the .380 as a trail gun too quickly. Have potted more than a few bunnies plus a few racoon & skunk around the farmyard with my IJ-70 Mak too...it's pretty darn accurate out to 25yds or so with cast 95gr LRN, single-action. I carry it loaded with 95gr LRN when I'm out fishing/hunting, but always have a clip of 95gr SXT HPs too.

If snakes are your main concern, then a 38/357 with shotloads is the slick trick. I never tried loading any shotshells for that 32Mag, but I've heard of guys doing it with a couple gas checks, one under and one over the shot charge.
  14. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

While I'm not concerned that I may not run into a bear or a wolf, I don't want to risk the chance since bears don't scare that easily (unless it's a small black bear, then it would run like it owed me money), wolves might turn tale when they hear a loud pop.

Anyhow, I'll see this summer after I save up and see what I have left after paying financial aid.
  15. BIGBOOMER

BIGBOOMER New Member

Or maybe a small frame single action like the Ruger Single-Six or Cimarron Lightning. :)