.338-50BMG

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Alphamale
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (5/23/01 1:55:35 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All .338-50BMG
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted this at Livefire's too, thought it would be good for discussion. I'm pretty new to this reloading business and am just throwing some idears out to see if they sink or float.

What would be the main problems(besides cost) to necking down a .50BMG to say .338 or .375?

Would the expansion ratio(I think that's the term) be all screwed up? How bad would throat erosion be? Would chamber pressures be too high?

If you necked down the .50 what would you neck it to?
    Remember: It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it's just fun!

Kdubya
    (5/23/01 2:30:49 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: .338-50BMG
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    going down to .22 might be a little overbore!
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

oldguide32
    (5/23/01 5:05:35 pm)
    There are already commercial rifles and equipment using the 50 BMG necked down to 375. The State Arms sells a nice looking rifle for about $1800. I have a video that they sent me. Shows them shooting a pig. Killed it, too. They also sell the regular 50 BMG rifle. My old room mate has a nice single shot rifle in 50 BMG and I've shot it quite a bit. Nice toy but he now has almost $4,000 in the gun, scope, reloading stuff, tripod, et al. I just cannot afford that much fun.

Alphamale
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (5/23/01 7:49:29 pm)
    OG, do they have a website? That would be something to look into, just for the I got one and nobody else around here does.

The reason I even thought about necking down the 50 was I saw someone trying to neck it down to 22 or 25 caliber(don't remember off hand)a year ago or so and they were having probs with the bullets expanding when the left the barrel. Coming out so fast they blew back on themselves from air pressure. If you could make it work be one hell of a varmint gun
    Remember: It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it's just fun!

WyomingSwede
    (5/24/01 11:08:11 pm)
    The very thought of this makes my shoulders ache. It would be great to play with....mounted in the back of a jeep. It will sell too..just call it the .338-50BMG Ulti-short magnum. Jim Carmichael will say he invented many moons ago and Remington will chamber a Model 700 for it.
    Wyoming Swede

oldguide32
    (5/25/01 9:09:47 am)
    Don't know of a website, alpha, but I'll find the video and see if there is an address at the end. Barret is now advertising their single shot at something under 2K.

Xracer
    (5/25/01 2:53:00 pm)
    Just the thing for woodchucks and squirrels......

Kdubya
    (5/25/01 4:04:43 pm)
    You bet - !

Since Slick Willie and Sarah Braidedarmpits have tried to get the .50 cal classified as a "sniper" rifle and illegal to own, I think it behooves us all to rush down and buy at least one apiece! I'll get the standard .50 and then opt for a 6.5x50 as a backup. Our gunrange has restricted the big bore shooters to both far-end benches at the range so they don't irritate the other shooters as much. I'll get Barrett to screw in a muzzle break taken off a 90mm gun on an old Patton tank - that ought'a really clear the adjacent benches, which I personally think is the goal of those "sniper" rifle shooters!!
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!