338-8mm mauser HELP

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by puzzle, Mar 2, 2011.

1. puzzle

puzzle New Member

My dad gave me an 8mm mauser that was rechambered in 338-8mm (we think)
    I have taken it to a gunsmith so we can find out what the real chamber is. Does any one know any thing about this round. Is it a safe round to load for or should I just hang it on the wall cause thats all it can do safely? Thanks for your help
    puzzle
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I do know that if it is in 338-8mm, that you'll want to handload for it. That's one that is nearly impossible to find any factory ammo. I haven't ever dealt with anything on one though, just heard about'em. A quick glance at the ballistics looks impressive though.
  3. puzzle

puzzle New Member

where can I find the ballistics for it ? and thanks
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

8mm rem mag necked up to .338 from the .323. ballistics are very close to the parent 8mm round, the only advantage is a wider range of projectile options. It is an earsasplitenloudenboomer! The .340 WBY mag is essentially the same cartridge (ballistically)

Good luck finding data, you may need to run it thru the quickload program. Its still after all these years, considered a wildcat
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Since it's already on the way to the gunshop for a chamber cast, I don't need to suggest that, but...

If it's a just a rechamber job, then I'd guess it's an 8mm-.338 instead of .338-8mm.
    Probably the original miltary barrel rechambered to use the .338WinMag case necked down to 8mm. This would give a magnum cartridge that still had a 3.340" COAL so it would still function through a standard length action (I.E. surplus Mauser/Springfield/etc).

Another common rechamber back in the day was 8mm-06. Using 30-06 brass necked up to 8mm so brass is easier to scrounge. Has same 3.340" COAL as the 8mm-.338WinMag or 8mm-.300WinMag butyou don't need to open the bolt face.