.338 lapua

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by zkovach, Nov 29, 2009.

1. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I am still reading my reloading books before i start and noticed the .338 lapua. I was very impressed with its ballistics. I would mainly use it for hunting but i believe this will be my next rifle. Anyone have one of these that can tell me there likes and dislikes.
  2. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Let me add an additional question... I noticed sako and armalite make rifles for this caliber but not looking to spend 3-4 grand. can you get this in a remington or more of a hunting style gun.
  3. zb338

zb338 New Member

Zkovach,
    I shoot a .338 Winchester Magnum and my Son shoots a .340 Weatherby
    magnum. The .338s are really good cartridges. My Son has shot almost every head
    of North American big game with his Weatherby Vanguard. He has never lost an animal.
    The .340 Weatherby and the Remington .338 Ultra Mag have similar ballistics give or
    take a little. These two guns are a little easier to buy price wise. If you have to have
    .338 Lapua you could buy one of the other magnums and have a gunsmith re-barrel it.
    I don't know which because I don't know the size of the rim. A good gunsmith would.
    Zeke
  4. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Great guns, I love the .338, I have a Win Mag myself. the thing to remember is the recoil. These things love to kick.
  5. gary0529

gary0529 Member

I am not aware of "Main Line" makers selling 338 Lapua.
    Mine is Armalite and do NOT consider it a hunting round-first off it weighs in at around 14# with a NF scope on top-not what I call a carry through the woods rifle.
    Second, unless you are taking 500 yard shots you better be very cognizant of what is behind that deer because the bullet will still be going strong. The muzzle energy is in excess of 5 thousand pounds and the Optimum Game Weight is upwards of 3000 #.
    Also, you better reload as factory ammo is $5.00 a round.
    I get mine down to about a buck a pull reloading and buying components in bulk.

Here is a quote from Cartridges of the World----
    "

.338 Lapua Magnum

The 338 Lapua Magnum was developed in 1983 by Research Armament Co. It was based on a 416 Rigby case necked down to .338 caliber. Later Lapua and Norma have put this cartridge into production. The caliber was designed to arrive at 1000 meters with enough energy to penetrate 5 layers of military body armor and still make the kill. The effective range of this caliber is about 1 mile (1600meters) and in the right shooting conditions, it could come very close to the 2000 meter mark, provided you have the right rifle/ammo/optics/shooter/spotter combination. This caliber is designed primarily as a military extreme range anti-personnel round. There really are no Law Enforcement applications, unless you need a super penetrating round for either armored vehicles, or for barricaded suspects. There are not a lot of rifles chambered for the .338, but the list is growing with the likes of Sako, AI, and others producing .338 sniping rifles.

This text is based on information from “Cartridges of the World”, Hodgdon reloading manual, the cartridge designer and/or own resources.

Lastly, for me anyway, is that mine is wearing a factory muzzle brake which makes it easier to tolerate the recoil but without 2 sets of ear protection you will go deaf is short order.
    There has to be other choices for you--I would look at 338 Federal or 338 WinMag for hunting or better yet, the venerable 35 Whelen.

Just my 2 cents.
  6. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

great advice Thanks to both of you!!!