35 whelen vs 35 whelen Ackley Improved

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by dcon12, Oct 30, 2004.

1. dcon12

dcon12 Active Member Supporting Member

Ok guys, what is the difference? I purchased a 760 Rem. in 35 whelen. I took it to my gunsmith to make sure since the gun was originaly a 3006. He verified it. I have now been told and it is punched on the barrell 35 W.A.I. Have I been doing any harm to me or the gun shotting 35 whelen thru it? Thanks in advance. Don
  2. AlleninAlaska

AlleninAlaska New Member

Nope, that's the good thing about the Ackley Improved cartridges, it allows you to still shoot factory ammo in them. You should have been able to see the difference in the case after shooting the factory ammo. The biggest downfall to shooting factory ammo in an Ackley chamber is that you will more than likely lose some velocity. But with a 35 caliber 225 or 250 grain bullet still doing 2450 to 2575 FPS I don't think any critter will notice a difference.:)
  3. dcon12

dcon12 Active Member Supporting Member

Thanks Allen, I let Ray shoot the rifle and he is the one who noticed. First because of the caseing and then the markings which I had overlooked. Don
  4. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

Hey Don,
    I thought that somthing was funny there. ESP after I saw what the barrel said.

Ray
  5. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Yep, that is how you make the cases for the Ackley Improved cartridge, by fireforming .35 Whelen in the chamber.

Next to the 7x57AI, the .35 Whelen AI is my favorite of the Ackley cartridges.