.357/.45 Black Bear country back up

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Neverhome, Oct 10, 2007.

1. whip

whip New Member

.338 RUM and yes I do carry a 4 inch 44 mag Colt Anaconda with Premium ammo. Lately I switched to Corbon but haven't shot anything but paper with them yet. I used the Federal Premium 300 gr lead solids on mule deer with outstanding results. Shot in the chest exited the right rear quarter. Little hard on meat but the deer stayed down. I look for penetration on anything mean't for big bears. I took a class on living in grizzly bear country and they had a grizzly bear skull with a single hole in the skull penetrating to the brain that dropped the bear. The presenter claimed that it was the only pellet of 4 loads of 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch 00 fired at nearly point blank range by an outfitter that actually penetrated the skull, all the other pellets had been found under the skin around the skull apparently they hit the skull and slide around it. Changed my entire philosophy on what to load my shotgun with while in grizzly country.

Terry that bear does look pretty poor but I bet he wasn't going to just gum his food to death. I bet he was still capable of doing some awesome damage. That is one large old skull on that bear.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  2. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

Hey Whip, Thanks for that bit of information. I have shot literally dozens of Black Bears but Grizzlies are definitely a different animal. Here in North Idaho where I live I am more concerned about Moose problems as we don't have many Grizzlies YET. I still go with the 44 mag. for my choice,well that is if I can't get a 454. catfish
  3. younggunslearner

younggunslearner New Member

You might want to check into your State minimum requirements for guns used for 'hunting'.

I know here in Colorado, for handguns your loads have to produce a minimum of 550 ftlbs at 50 yards rated by the manufacture. A 357 barely crosses that depending on how hot you load it and a 45 ACP does not even come close to it.

I personally have a 45 ACP and I carry it anyways, but I have argued many times with the game warden about what qualifies and what doesn't and I think my 185 gr Hollow point loaded to a +P load has plenty of stopping power for the brownies out here.

As much as I would love to have a array of guns in my cabinet, I can't afford to buy another $700.00 plus gun right now just to have a 'qualified' hand gun for hunting.
  4. younggunslearner

younggunslearner New Member

Plus with my 45 ACP I can unload a clip of 14 of them 185gr bad boys in about the time a revolver can put out 6 or 8.
  5. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

I would take the biggest 45 I could. It would be the big daddy 460 S&W. Why shoot them with 14 185gn bullets when 1 200gn bullet will stop them in their tracks. There is no way to compare the 460 to the 357. It is like comparing a 223 to a 300 win mag.

Ray
  6. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

41 mag myself. No offence to the 45 but there just aint enough knock down power where it counts. Granted a double stack clip will allow you to throw morelead down range but I am more worried about a pissed off bear that a dead one. You have a better chance at a single shot kill with the 44 than that of the 45 auto. That being said I believe the 357 would offer a better range kill or chance of kill than the 45.
  7. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Another vote for the .44 magnum. My launch vehicle is a S&W 29 Mountain Gun (4" tapered barrel). A good companion to the Marlin 1894SS lever action rifle in the same caliber.
  8. 357bearkiller

357bearkiller New Member

I took down a black bear last year with a .357 magnum in eastern Washington. Took 3 shots to bring him down, 3 more to kill him. He was about 10-12 years old, 300 lbs. Tough son of a bitch but the .357 did the job.
  9. trapperdick

trapperdick New Member

Unless you're going to use them to shoot youself as a last resort, I wouldn't carry either the 357 or 45, they'll just get you hurt. If you're going to shoot a bear with a handgun make sure it's big enought to do the job. At least a 41 Mag or 44 Mag............TD
  10. jmohler

jmohler New Member

Given the choice between a 1911 and a .357, I'd take the .357, with full metal jackets. As a matter of fact, those are my choices, and that is what I pack. I go with the full metal jackets because in the woods, there's no such thing as over-penetration.
  11. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

what would be your opinion on a 6 inch barrel judge firing pretty hot .45 long colt loads? its the biggest caliber hand gun i have and thats what i take with me when im in the woods. ive been thinking about getting a 500 S&W
  12. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

Ive been in grizz territory only once and for back up i wore both of my saa .45 colts both loaded with my 250 grain jhp's with unique powder behind them. 5 1/2 inch barrels and in a double hip rig.
  13. fritz

fritz New Member

I hunt bears with hounds, this is what i carry in with me. a Marlin 1895GS, 45-70. and a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag. as a back up weapon.

[​IMG]
  14. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i would not choose either,a 44 mag would be the least i would go if i couldnt afford a 500 s&w mag.if you only have the two then if it is a ruger 45 reload or buy custom rounds to make up the difference,i wouldnt even consider the 357. old semperfi