357 loading questions

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by DixieLandMan, May 4, 2012.

1. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I wondered if anyone had any problems reloading 357 bullets into the revolver. Basically, I loaded up some rounds and when I went to put them in the cylinder, they would only go maybe 1/8" in. I tried several like this and some would not go in at all (just the projectile) and others would go in just a little way and stop. Like the brass was too big or something. I took a .38 special and inserted it with no problem. Does someone know if I am doing something wrong?
  2. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  3. Bud0505

Bud0505 Member

Were the .38 spls reloads or factory ammo? Sounds like you might have a problem with the taper/crimp on the .357s. Can you provide a little more information? Case, projectile, OAL, diameter of the load at the crimp? A picture would help also.
  4. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

the 38's were reloads. I have the boxes at home and I'll take a picture of what I had loaded up and the problem. It is like the case will not fit all the way. the 38's do and the factory 357 I have but not 357 reloads. I'll take a picture this afternoon and post. The 38's were loaded with Hornady bullets and the ones that did not fit are loaded with speer 146 and 158 grain JHP.
  5. Bud0505

Bud0505 Member

I agree with Appliancedude you need a case gauge. Also you need to check the .357s to make sure the case isn't bulged. Resizing should eliminate any bulge.
  6. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Sounds as if the cases were not sized properly, and/or the completed round may not have been crimped enough to remove the expanded case mouth. By chance are these nickle plated?
  7. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

DixieLandMan, If you are seating and crimping in the same step, you could very well be bulging the case midway down. If you seat and then use a Lee Taper Crimp die the problem will go away. I am sure it is not a resizing issue because when you deprime and seat that step is sufficient enough to resize the brass to proper specs. Are you seating and crimping in the same step?

Jim
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

DixieLandMan:

You probably did too much of a crimp and swelled the cases.

While I am NOT a LEE fan the one tool that they make that nobody else does is the LEE Factory Crimp Dies (FCD). For rifle cartridges it is a collet that just squeezes the case to the bullet. The pistol version is much different. After it crimps the case to the bullet it passes the case, on removing the case from the die, through another sizer which absolutely assures the cartridge will fit any correct chamber.

It is better to do the crimping separate from the bullet seating. Adding the LEE FCD as an additional process and setting up the seating die to NOT crimp is a much better way.

LDBennett
  9. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Well said LD. How you doin?
  10. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

76Highboy said:

"How you doin?"

Just fine, thank you. Is there a reason you asked?

LDBennett
  11. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I think you nailed it: over-crimp using a roll crimp die. A taper crimp die will eliminate this and obviate the necessity of trimming all your brass. It will also extend the life of the brass.
  12. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

312shooter, yes, these were nickle cases. I will try a brass case this afternoon to see if those work. I hope that it is something that I can fix because I think that most of my 357 brass is actually nickle.

I took some pictures last night so I'll post them when I get back to the house.
  13. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

There are a few possibilities.

- you are not getting all of the flare out caused by improper die adjustment

- you are over crimping and bulging the cases, caused by improper die adjustment

- the bullet may be seated crooked. Unlikely if you have this problem with multiple rounds.

While taper crimp dies can be had for 38/357 rounds, your off the shelf die set will come with a roll crimp. You problems are most likely in your die adjustment. Post some pics so we can see what's going on.
  14. mikld

mikld Member

Measure the finished cartridge. A cartridge is a peg, the chamber is a hole. If the peg is bigger than the hole, it won't go in. Simple as that. Measure an unloaded case then measure a completed cartridge. Will an empty case chamber? If the OD is more than .379" it won't go in the chamber. Case gauges are fine, but it's better to just measure. Once you find out where the round is too big, then you can troubleshoot.

Did you shoot many .38 Specials in the gun before you tried to chamber a .357"? A crud/carbon ring can form in a chamber from shooting 38 Specials in a .357 chamber...
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
  15. okiefired

okiefired New Member

Dont you have a set of calipers? If so, measure thoes that wont go and see where they're too big, you can better asses your problem then. Pretty sure your answers been gevin here already just need more info to see which answer fits the problem. Just one question....you have loaded good rounds with the same resizer in the past...right? If so, a bunch, or just a few?

okie
  16. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Ok, attached are 2 pictures. To throw a twist to this issue, I tried brass cases and other nickel plated cases and I found out that only the nickel plated RP cases were the problem ones. I tried the brass RP and they went in perfectly. I tried other nickel cases and they went in perfectly. Could the issue be with just the RP cases? Anyone else have this issue?

Attached Files:

17. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I have not had any problems with the RP nickel brass. and thats for both 357 and 38spl.
  18. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Thanks LD, just keep pushin those LEE products!:D
  19. Bud0505

Bud0505 Member

Dixielandman,

How many cases do you have that won't fit? If your brass cases and other nickel cases fit, it good be you have a couple of bad cases that need to be scrapped? Just a thought.
  20. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

On that bullet you are holding, it appears that there IS a bulge just about where the bullet is crimped. It also could be a reflection, though. I agree with using a Lee FCD to get rid of the problem. I also agree with Bud0505 to scrap the cases if you can't re-size the problem away.