357 loading questions

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by DixieLandMan, May 4, 2012.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

To set up any die for crimping you have to do it in tiny steps using a set of calipers so as to not exceed the book dimensions where the crimp is made.

If you use the bullet seating/crimp die then you must first back out the die from the press so no crimp is made. Slowly and progressively seat a bullet in a test round until it is seated where you want. Then take out the seating plug altogether. Move the seating die in the press downward and progressively until you get there correct crimp as measured with calipers. Lock the die down and reinsert the seating plug slowly while the press is all the way up and the test round is in the shell holder. You are using the test round as a gage to set up the seating plug. Do not seat the bullet any farther in this final step. Now, do another test round to be sure all is correct.

A better way, as I said before, is to use two dies: the regular seating/crimp die backed out of the press to only seat the bullet and not crimp, and a separate crimp only die, like those made by LEE (the FCD) or someone else's crimp only die. Remember, revolver cartridges get roll crimps and most rimless semi-auto cartridges get taper crimps.

LDBennett
  2. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

gdmoody, I measured the bullet and the buldge is just the reflection. I have about 7-10 nickle plated RP brass that will not seat. I'm just going to scrap them and throw them in the recycle bucket. Not worth the hassle. Thank y'all for your help with this issue.
  3. mikld

mikld Active Member

Have you measured them yet? Do the nikel cases measure larger in OD? Give us some actual measurements (to the third decimal place or thousandths of an inch). "Buldge" is not a unit of measure and can't measure pics...
  4. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

I agree with the above and really doubt that there is an issue with the nickel plated brass. I can't even guess how many I've reloaded over the years and never had an issue similar to yours. If I were you, I would first reinstall all of your dies following the directions provided by the mfg, then try again with the "bad" brass.

Good luck!
  5. mikld

mikld Active Member

Measure the !$@(! #$@ cartridges!
  6. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Ok. Back in town now. So I measured the cases and at the neck I was getting .373-.377. Midway dow I was getting .373-.375 and at the back if the case, I was getting .374-.378. I tried putting that last one that measured .378 and it would not fit all the way (it would go in until it got to the back of the case. I put it in the resizer, pushed out the primer and then tried to put i back in the cylinder and it went in with no trouble. So I loaded it up, took measurements and it went in with no problem at all. So basically it sounds like that these dam casings were not sized correctly/not at all. This has me puzzled because I deprimed/primed them and waited to get loaded back up. Well, to make sure, I did this with 10-15 more cases and after I resized them and deprimed them, they all worked out correctly. Going to do a few more up like this and fire them to make sure but it sounds like the problem has been corrected. Just wonder how they were deprimed and primed but not sized.