.357 Mag 148 gr SWC

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Bud0505, May 9, 2012.

1. Bud0505

Bud0505 Member

I've searched the forum and haven't found a load for .357 mag 148 gr SWC using Unique. Anyone have a pet load? I've read all about Power Pistol,W231, Universal etc but I'm looking for a mild paper punching load using components that I already have on hand. Looking forward to your responses.

Alpo Well-Known Member

This is actually for a 150 SWC, but that weight is close enough.

I use 5.0 of Unique as both my max load, in 38 Special brass, and my starting load, in 357.
  3. Bud0505

Bud0505 Member

Thanks Alpo. I was provided a link by a member on anther forum for the 2004 Hodgon reloading guide and in lists a target load for .357 of 3.2 grs Unique. FYI: www.alliantpowder.com
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I don't see where you got that from.

This is the pistol calibers' page.
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeList.aspx?gtypeid=1

This is the 357, 158 grain lead SWC page
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=158&shellid=28&bulletid=30

The load on it is 6.0

Now, 148 is the normal weight for a wadcutter bullet, so any data I saw for 148 grains, I would make dang sure was for a SWC or a RN, before I used it, since full wadcutters sit so much deeper in the case, and therefore require MUCH less powder.

Heck, Alliant lists 4.7 in a 38 Special.
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=158&shellid=26&bulletid=30
  5. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

If you can't find what you want in your manuals, just jump up to loads for 158 gr LSWC. An old Skeeter Skelton pet load for loading light in the 357 mag was 5.3 Unique under a 158 gr LSWC. A similar load should be decent with 148 gr LSWC. (Don't substitute charges listed for lighter weight bullets for heavier bullets, though, or you can be running into overpressure issues.)
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  6. Bud0505

Bud0505 Member

7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Bud, your original post asked for SWC data. That's Semi Wad Cutter.

Your latest post says LWC. That's Lead Wad Cutter.

Those are two entirely different bullet designs, and you cannot use data for one for the other one.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

This picture shows sectioned bullets. Ignore the two on the left.

[​IMG]

The one on the far right is a SWC, and the one next to it is a LWC. See how much difference there is in the amount of powder space? Using LWC data with a SWC will probably get you a stuck bullet, and using SWC data with a LWC is liable to get you a blown up gun.
  9. Bud0505

Bud0505 Member

Alpo,

I acknowledged that I made a mistake in my original request for load data. Asking for 148 gr SWC and not 148 GR LWC. I do realize there is a difference.