1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

.357 mag shotshells

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Thomas_1, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Thomas_1

Thomas_1 New Member

I was wondering if anyone used shotshells in thier .357 magnum? I heard a lot of bad thing about the .22 shotshells. But using them in the .357 larger shell would that improve the distance? This would be only for squirrels. Usually I just hunt with the 16ga or 12ga shotgun, but thought this would be fun the try out.
  2. pawn

pawn Active Member

I've got a few packs of 357 mag shotshells on hand to deal with the occasional wayward critter in the yard (couldn't risk using a slug due to close proximity of neighbors)

We had a rat in our garage a couple of months back. The little rascal got up in the dry wall and even chewed through the wire for the garage door (cost me $30 to get it fixed). Anyhow, I bought some sticky traps to put in front of the hole in the wall. He got stuck and I popped 'em with a few rounds of 22lr Federal Game Shock Birdshot.....did the trick without further damage to the garage :D
  3. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I loaded them in 38 cases and tested them out of various revolvers and surprisingly to me my SP101 in 357 with a 2 1/4" bbl had the best pattern. I loaded them for snake loads while hog hunting in Texas. I used Speer shotshell capsules with #9 lead shot over 5.5 gr of Unique.
  4. Thomas_1

Thomas_1 New Member

A friend of mine gave me 2 shotshells today. I'm going to try them out tomorrow and see how they do.

Attached Files:

• 357.JPG
      357.JPG
      File size:
      36.8 KB
      Views:
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I've used the CCI shotshells in a .38 derringer (the CCIs are labeled ".357/.38 Special shotshells"). They do OK on snakes out to about 5 yards (all the further I tried), but the pattern was very inconsistent.
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Thats about it. I patterned mine at 7 yards and the SP had the most even pattern. I then shot a few at cans on the ground to see how they worked and even fron the hip and like I said previously the SP surprised me. I figured I wanted to know how they acted before I went stumbling around snake country.
  7. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I've used quite a few handloaded .38 shotshells (Speer components) over the years. I agree with Terry. I've found they pattern best from short-barrel revolvers. At ten feet they are deadly for rat-sized pests.
  8. artabr

artabr New Member

This months (Dec.) issue of Guns Magazine has a good article by John Taffin on handloading handgun shot shells.

Art