.357 mag shotshells

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Thomas_1, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Thomas_1

Thomas_1 New Member

I was wondering if anyone used shotshells in thier .357 magnum? I heard a lot of bad thing about the .22 shotshells. But using them in the .357 larger shell would that improve the distance? This would be only for squirrels. Usually I just hunt with the 16ga or 12ga shotgun, but thought this would be fun the try out.
  2. pawn

pawn Active Member

I've got a few packs of 357 mag shotshells on hand to deal with the occasional wayward critter in the yard (couldn't risk using a slug due to close proximity of neighbors)

We had a rat in our garage a couple of months back. The little rascal got up in the dry wall and even chewed through the wire for the garage door (cost me $30 to get it fixed). Anyhow, I bought some sticky traps to put in front of the hole in the wall. He got stuck and I popped 'em with a few rounds of 22lr Federal Game Shock Birdshot.....did the trick without further damage to the garage :D
  3. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I loaded them in 38 cases and tested them out of various revolvers and surprisingly to me my SP101 in 357 with a 2 1/4" bbl had the best pattern. I loaded them for snake loads while hog hunting in Texas. I used Speer shotshell capsules with #9 lead shot over 5.5 gr of Unique.
  4. Thomas_1

Thomas_1 New Member

A friend of mine gave me 2 shotshells today. I'm going to try them out tomorrow and see how they do.

Attached Files:

• 357.JPG
      357.JPG
      File size:
      36.8 KB
      Views:
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I've used the CCI shotshells in a .38 derringer (the CCIs are labeled ".357/.38 Special shotshells"). They do OK on snakes out to about 5 yards (all the further I tried), but the pattern was very inconsistent.
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Thats about it. I patterned mine at 7 yards and the SP had the most even pattern. I then shot a few at cans on the ground to see how they worked and even fron the hip and like I said previously the SP surprised me. I figured I wanted to know how they acted before I went stumbling around snake country.
  7. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I've used quite a few handloaded .38 shotshells (Speer components) over the years. I agree with Terry. I've found they pattern best from short-barrel revolvers. At ten feet they are deadly for rat-sized pests.
  8. artabr

artabr New Member

This months (Dec.) issue of Guns Magazine has a good article by John Taffin on handloading handgun shot shells.

Art