357 magnum 158 gn fmj?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 2muchfreetime, Jun 9, 2012.

1. 2muchfreetime

2muchfreetime New Member

Going to the range to shoot my Smith 686 357 mag tomorrow.A friend gave me a box of 158gn fmj 357 bullets.I cant seem to find a recipe.Does anyone have data on these bullets.I have the following powders.
    winchester 231
    Accurate 2
    Accurate 9
    Titegroup
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Just use data for any 158 gr Jacketed bullet and start at starting charge and work up from there.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I've never heard of a 158 FMJ. Plated, yes, but not FMJ. And they say you're not supposed to use jacketed data for plated bullets, especially with a 357, that can push one in the 1400, 1500 fps range.
  4. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was wondering about that too. Speer does have a flat nose 158gr version but that one should stand out. Most of the typical FMJ-RN are 170gr (& up).
  5. 2muchfreetime

2muchfreetime New Member

The box says
    USAC Inc
    Tacoma WA
    38 caliber.357
    158 grain full metal jacketed roundnose bullets
    Looking at the box closer I now see that it says;
    Used only in USAC plastic cartridge case.
    Now I am more confused PLASTIC CASE?:rolleyes:
  6. 2muchfreetime

2muchfreetime New Member

looking into it more I see where the Company went bankrupt.The cases were plastic.LOL. No one is saying that they can be loaded in brass cases.I guess they are junk.
  7. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Still might be able to load them into brass.

I'm guessing the premise was to offer an inexpensive, disposable cartridge case (even cheaper than steel and aluminum). Perhaps after finding that the plastic cases stuck inside of too many chambers, it wasn't such a big hit.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If the bullets are .357 or .358 inches in diameter, it don't matter that they were designed to be loaded in plastic cases. They'll work, loading into brass.

My only worry was you had Ranier or Berry bullets, which LOOK like FMJ, but are actually electroplated. The copper coating is not as thick as a jacket, and you can't push them as fast as you can a jacketed bullet.

But if they are, in fact, full metal jacketed, then yes, load 'em using 357 158 grain JHP or JSP data. You and they will be fine.