.357 Magnum or 9mm/.40s&w/.357 Sig

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Doug.38PR, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Doug.38PR

Doug.38PR Member

This is pretty much a revolver vs. semi auto thread.

But let me put it this way:

Would you prefer the power and reliablity that the .357 Magnum has to offer or the capacity that the semi-auto has to offer? True the .357 Sig is an attempt to match the .357 Magnum but no cigar. When jacked up to full potential, the .357 Magnum wins out.

True you could go with .45 ACP but that would decrease capacity with your usual 1911 and not too many people want to go with a high capacity heavy gun with so many heavy loads. True you could go with a 10 millimeter and have equal or greater than the .357 Magnum but that's more than most people can handle.
  2. aandabooks

aandabooks Member

I'm currently on a revolver kick so my vote goes to the .357. I love my 686 4" above any of my 9mms. .357Sig I haven't done any research on and I don't like the .40S&W round.
  3. Airborneguy

Airborneguy Well-Known Member

What purpose are we comparing them for? Are you looking to compare carry opinions?

I don't own a .357, but I do have two 9mm's and a .44 Mag. If we are comparing them for carry purposes, I prefer to carry my 9mm with the increase capacity and +P hollow points over my .44 revolver with much less available rounds and slower reloading capability.
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Both... :D
    Depends on what I'm doing and what day it is.
    I love a good DA revolver but I like autoloaders too so I've got a few of each.

I had been on a serious 1911 kick for a while so my beater PT-1911 was my daily carry gun around the farm.
    Last fall I dragged home a EAA Witness 9mm that really grew on me, so it got the daily chore use instead.
    Lately, it's been my 4" GP100 though. I think I'm getting tired of trying to dig the empties out of the grass. :)

I've got one .40/.357Sig combo P226 and quite honestly I just don't use it that much with either barrel. It's not really a caliber thing as much as it is a "doesn't fit me quite right" issue.
    A few years ago, you couldn't have given me a double-stack platform since very few fit my hands decent. A good single-stack is a complete different story though, which is why my favorite autoloaders are my 1911s and my SIG P6.

As for reliability...they're both good if you've got a good platform. I can't say that a revolver is more reliable than an auto. Simpler yes, but the reliability is in the brand/model and not the type.
  5. Doug.38PR

Doug.38PR Member

Just general discussion purposes. Basic Self Defense. whether concealed carry or open carry.
  6. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    Given the accuracy most people display in a self defense shooting scenario, including those who shoot and train a lot, I think ammo capacity is a more important factor than the ever elusive stopping power.

Yes, the .357 is more powerful, but one thing to be concerned about with a round that good is over penetration...especially at the distances most self defense shootings occur.

Depending upon which type of semi-auto firearm you purchase (*cough*Glock*cough*), all it takes is a barrel swap and maybe a mag swap, and you can shoot all three calibers you listed (9mm/.40/.357Sig).

You say the 10mm is too much to handle for most people...and it is different than a .357 in recoil by how much? If you can handle the .357 magnum, then you can handle the 10mm.

My choice for EDC is the power of the .357 with the mag capacity of a semi-auto...10mm. Why compromise?
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  7. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

Revolvers are probably more reliable but many semi-auto's are also.I have a 9mm semi- auto that has never jammed once.A 357 is more powerful but in a fraction of a second you can squeeze off 3 or 4 9mm rounds.So for self-defense/CCW does a semi-auto pistol make more sense than a large caliber revolver.Maybe?
  8. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

P.S.I just love 22 revolvers!H&R's,High Standard and the Ruger Bear-Cat/Single-Six.They are just awsome.
  9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I love my Beretta 92. It's accurate and has never had a problem. Feeds any ammo. Nothing beats my Ruger 44 mag Blackhawk. Very accurate and powerful.

Never the less I wouldn't want to carry either of these guns all day in conceal carry.
  10. Doug.38PR

Doug.38PR Member

So what you're saying is: Average person says, "oops, I missed, oh well, there's plenty more where that came from. 1 out of 15 is bound to catch him." Martin Riggs spray away --- bambambambambambambambambambambambambam

Isn't that rather dangerous...:eek:I mean where are the other 14 rounds going? They've got to hit something or somebody and that something has to be payed for and that somebody might not be able to be payed for except funeral expenses (not to mention your own funeral expenses. If your shooting is that lousy then you're probably dead before you get past the first 5 rounds anyway)
  11. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

How bout a Desert Eagle .357 mag? Now youve got a semi-auto .357 mag, discussion done. Not a CC piece, or high capacity, but thats beside the point.
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    How about a .45? With 21 rounds! I carry either a .44, or a .45 ACP. I like the .45 the best, and I carry it the most. 8 rounds in the gun, and 14 more on my weak side. And if 8 bullets isn't enough to get the job done, then you just ain't doing the job right!

Attached Files:

13. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Ive got a couple of those gigantic .45 mags too, just nevee gave it much thought to carrying them around. Theyre kinda fun to play with now and then tho. Had thought of gettin one of the little drums too, just never did.
  14. Doug.38PR

Doug.38PR Member

Those long single stack magazines aren't very reliable at all though. I bought one a few years ago and it hangs halfway up the magazine every time. Everything I've ever read about them online say the same or similar problems.
  15. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I would say more like 3. You own every round that comes out of your gun. Shooting 10 or 15 rounds at anything you have a good chance of hitting an innocent bystander. Happens all the time in Chicago.