357 Magnum

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by 45Smashemflat, Nov 27, 2006.

1. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

OK, not saying money is no object, but lets say that we're not trying to go cheapest. What does the group think is the best 4-5" 357 revolver out there - new or used. (I'm thinking I'll go older - but who knows.) I'm thinking Smith Combat Magnum right now - but not sold on it, and I don't know where to find one anyway. Let me know your thoughts....
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

The 19 is sort of a light weight 357 (K frame) and was not designed for a steady diet of 357's. That said I love mine.
    The 28 N frame will stand up to the steady 357 loads.

The best of both worlds one own 1 of each :D :D :D :D :D :D
  3. BIGBOOMER

BIGBOOMER New Member

The Smith Combat Magnum is a fine revolver, but is kind of delicate if you plan on a steady diet of magnums. Myself, I prefer the 4" Ruger GP-100 over all other 357 service type revolvers. It is accurate, strong, and durable, has interchangable front sights, and comes from the factory with one of the best double action grips ever designed. It generally has a good trigger, especially DA, but like all factory guns these days it may need a little slicking up. :)
    Best regards, BIGBOOMER
  4. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 New Member

my vote is for the Smith 686 even though I bought a Colt King Cobra because it was a better deal

the smith has a better feel and trigger than the ruger imo, and unlike the colt I bought has an extensive aftermarket
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I like Taurus new revolvers. But the 686 is a great gun
  6. I have to go along with 22 on this one, 45. If you can find one used, the N-Frame Mod 28 Smith is one heck of a good choice. It's a heavy and bulky revolver, but it will eat .357s like pretzels and never miss a beat. I agree with the general consensus here that a K-frame is really a bit light for this round. You will likely end up shooting .38 specials in it most of the time because the recoil can get to you pretty fast, especially with a short-barrelled revolver. The heavy N-frame tames the recoil quite nicely. Another good choice would be a Ruger GP-100. I have one of those in a 6 inch and it has proven to be both accurate and reliable.
  7. ironsight65

ironsight65 New Member

I also really like Taurus revolvers, but my favorite revolver
    is a Colt Python with a 4" barrel. Great shooting gun with a very smooth trigger.
  8. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

I´d take the Ruger GP-100 but can live with the others nentioned.
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have owned both the Ruger GP100 and the S&W 686Plus (7 shots). While the Ruger is heavy duty tough it lacks finesse. The S&W L-frame is heavy duty enough for regular doses of 357 Mag ammo yet the gun is not so bulked up that is is too heavy. The trigger on modern S&W revolvers is extremely crisp and with the replacement of one spring and nothing more, it is one of the best triggers going. The Ruger needs a full trigger job to match the S&W's trigger. The Ruger is a bit fiddley to tear down for complete cleaning as the removable trigger group is tough to get out and put back in but it does give you the entire internals to clean. The S&W requires at least a lesson in the technique of how to get to the internals without ruining the side plate but that level of tear down is rarely needed. A single screw removal has the cylinder in your hand on the S&W while the tough trigger group has to be removed on the Ruger to get its cylinder out of the frame. Both guns are accurate and testing by magazines years ago showed the Ruger to be much better than average. I like the fit, finish, feel, the egos, and the trigger of the S&W better than the Ruger. I sold my Ruger GP100 after getting the S&W 686Plus.

LDBennett
  10. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

My pick would be the Smith 686 Plus, too.
  11. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

DAN WESSON
    FREEDOM ARMS
    KORTH

best regards, mike.
  12. punchie

punchie Member

I was impressed by the new S&W 327 M&P. Scandium, 5 inch, slab side bbl with rail and 8 shots and unlike most scandiums it weighs in at 35.5 oz. Or the S&W 627, slab side v-comp if you want more weight.
  13. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I vote for the Ruger GP-100 w/4" barrel. Add after market grips and you'll be good to go for a long time.
  14. Kahr

Kahr New Member

Smith 686 or Colt Python
  15. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

S&W Model 28, or if money is not an object, a Model 27, with a 5" barrel.